The good life doesn't have to cost the planet.
The Whispering Is Over
by Nancy Evansposted Mar 31, 2003
- women are mobilizing to find the causes of breast cancer, phase out chemicals that cause cancer, enforce environmental protection laws, eliminate the use of harmful chemicals. The Breast Cancer Fund.
Discussion Guide :: Our Planet, Our Selves- environment and health
posted Mar 31, 2003
- Questions like: Who in your own life has experienced serious illness? What has it been like for those close to that person? What obligation do we have to keep an environment clean for other people?
by Pam Changposted Mar 31, 2003
- What if house cleaning weren’t a thankless, low-paid, toxic job? Mayda Iglesias co-founded a cooperative that does eco-friendly cleaning. Business is great, her clients are happy, her health has improved, and her leadership is widely recognized.
Seeds of Justice, Seeds of Hope
by Anna Marie Carterposted Mar 31, 2003
- "The Seed Lady of Watts" is getting fresh food into an area better known for its toxics and poverty
posted Mar 31, 2003
- Nane Alexandrez returned from Vietnam to a community struggling with drugs, violence, and poverty. Determined to reach young people with alternatives to violence, he started Barrios Unidos. but to succeed, he found he had to confront his own addiction.
Put Some Heart Into It: Spirit in Action
by Linda Stoutposted Dec 31, 2002
- Spirit in Action: Create a collective vision; Take time for community, and bring spirit into our work for change.
Earth Democracy - an interview with Vandana Shiva
by Sarah Ruth van Gelder, Vandana Shivaposted Dec 31, 2002
- an interview with Vandana Shiva, about seed saving, cultural insecurity, economic insecurity in India, hope
Watching the Watchers
by Megan Rowlingposted Dec 31, 2002
- Surveillance Camera Players, SCP, retaining privacy, Street Performances challenging surveillance technologies
by Jeff Chester, Gary O. Larsonposted Dec 31, 2002
- center for Digital Democracy, open access to the internet, electronic commons
Study Circle Democracy
by Cecile Andrewsposted Dec 31, 2002
- Deliberative democracy through study circles.
Yes! But How?
by Pamela O'Malley Chang, Beth Balderstonposted Dec 31, 2002
- Recycling computers, unclog bathroom drain, non-toxic solutions, bees nests, hornets
Turning the Sword
by Milenko Matanovicposted Jun 30, 2002
- Is art for museums and collectors, or does it belong in the streets? Could art help us turn away from mass–produced violence and ugliness, and give each of us ways to forge an imaginative and beautiful future?
The Time of Your Life
by Martin Keoghposted Jun 30, 2002
- With leaps, bounds, and stillness, dancers make peace with time.
Who's Afraid of Music
by Carol Estesposted Jun 30, 2002
- Music can tell truths that otherwise go unheard, inspiring action, and sustaining resistance.
Resource Guide: Art and Community
posted Jun 30, 2002
- Resource Guide for the Summer 2002 issue of YES! on Art and Community.