People We Love :: Chris Goodman
by Kim NochiJul 07, 2009
- In defense of a good education.
Sherman Alexie, How Do You Dare to Tell the Truth?
by Heather PurserJul 07, 2009
- A young native writer’s ambush interview with Sherman Alexie throws her into a whirlpool of unanswerable questions about tribal loyalty, silence, and healing.
Marshmallows and Gratification
Jul 07, 2009
- A TED talk by Joachim de Posada.
Anthropology 101: How to Change the World
by Tom MurphyJun 30, 2009
- Professor Tom Murphy wanted his students to reconnect with nature. Now, they work beside farmers, fishermen, wastewater technicians, environmental groups, and Native American leaders through an award-winning service learning program.
You Are Brilliant, and the Earth is Hiring
by Paul HawkenMay 27, 2009
- The Commencement Address by Paul Hawken to the Class of 2009, University of Portland, May 3, 2009
Would Obama’s Mother be Amazed?
by Fran KortenMay 08, 2009
- Would Barack Obama’s mother be amazed that her son is president of the United States? Fran Korten knew his mother, and she doesn’t think she would be.
In Review :: Homemade Revolution
by Erik KnutzenMay 07, 2009
- A hand-cranked and pedal-powered guide to shrinking your home electricity use.
The Garden of Eatin'
Mar 16, 2009
- Presidential households from Jefferson to Roosevelt kept gardens at the White House. Why shouldn’t President Obama? A colorful history of Pennsylvania Avenue’s “edible landscape.”
If You Give a Kid a Shovel
by Joe GillespieMar 11, 2009
- Joe Gillespie started his first school garden in 1993 with 50 raised beds. Today, he and his middle school students grow veggies year-round and monitor wind turbines.
Invite the World for Dinner
by Jim HaynesFeb 17, 2009
- Every week for the past 30 years, Jim Haynes has hosted a Sunday dinner in his home in Paris. People, including total strangers, call or e-mail to book a spot. The first 50 or 60 people who call may come, and twice that many when the weather is nice and the crowd can overflow into the garden.
YES! Picks :: Our Favorite Cookbooks
Feb 13, 2009
- The staff here at YES! has put together their ultimate cookbook shelf. Take a look and Bon Appetit!
Update :: Americans Really Mean It: We Want Universal Health Care
Feb 13, 2009
- Americans Really Mean It: We Want Universal Health Care.
Go Organic: A Month of Organic Eating
by Laura KaliebeFeb 13, 2009
- Organic. Marketing ploy or easy way to get a little greener? Laura Kaliebe attempts to find out by eating organic for 30 days.
In Review: Bill Cleveland’s Art and Upheaval
by Brooke JarvisFeb 13, 2009
- Review of Art and Upheaval: Artists on the World's Frontlines, by Bill Cleveland
People We Love :: America Bracho
Feb 13, 2009
- Profile of America Bracho, who fights for health care by and for the people in Orange County, California.