The Bravest Response to Fear
by Jeremy Adam SmithJan 17, 2016
- From strangers on the street to Muslim refugees—why we should embrace the humanity of people we may fear.
How This Black Student Used Documents and DNA to Find Her Slave Ancestors
by Alexa MillsJan 14, 2016
- Like many African Americans, Lakisha David wanted to trace the roots of her family, who for years were documented only as property. Here’s how she did it.
Waging Life in a War Zone
by Jen MarloweJan 12, 2016
- From Gaza’s colorful neighborhood to its underground theater, resistance is an art.
6 Cities Designing for Health
by Anna ClarkJan 11, 2016
- From Detroit to Edinburgh, these cities are helping residents live more healthful and equitable lives.
A Neighborhood Revolution in a Pot of Soup
by Shelley McEuenJan 07, 2016
- After living in the same town for 14 years, I decided it was finally time to meet my neighbors. My secret? Soup night.
What’s the New Economy Look Like? Here’s What Our Artists Did With Your Ideas
by Kate AronoffJan 07, 2016
- Pictures of windmills and farmers markets are great, but they don’t capture the diversity and radicalism of the movement. So we asked readers like you for poster ideas and handed them over to two of our favorite artists.
Why Do Boys Dress as Warriors and Girls as Princesses? It Starts With the Books They Read
by Peggy AlbersJan 06, 2016
- Research shows that children develop their understanding of things like gender and race before the age of 5 from the characters they meet in stories.
How Strong Friendships Defy Dementia
by Marcus Harrison GreenJan 06, 2016
- The Momentia movement uses strong social ties to ward off the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
The Earthships Have Landed: Inside New Mexico's Off-Grid Community Made from Trash
by YES! StaffJan 01, 2016
- People who live in this desert community say their homes can serve as a model for how society can function happily without the infrastructure and modern systems we’ve come to expect.
Our Favorite Books on How to Live a Happy and Meaningful Life
by Jill Suttie, Diana Divecha, Jeremy Adam SmithDec 31, 2015
- Thinking about your New Year’s resolutions for 2016? Here are 13 of this year’s most thought-provoking and useful nonfiction books on the science of a meaningful life.
My Year of Magical Tidying
by Erin SagenDec 28, 2015
- How getting rid of two-thirds of my belongings created more space for joy.
How Sustainability Almost Ruined Christmas
by Shannon HayesDec 25, 2015
- As a new parent I tried to delight over stocking stuffers, wrapping paper, and battery-powered plastic thingamabobs. But none of it made me happy.
After Trauma: A Graphic Journey Through Wild Healing
by Leela CormanDec 22, 2015
- In this collection of watercolor illustrations, a comics artist illustrates her journey through grief after the sudden death of her first child.
8 Amazing Muslim Women Who Would Be Banned From Trump’s America (and Other News to Chew On)
by YES! StaffDec 16, 2015
- The inner lives of drone operators, refugee camps through the eyes of children, and women who would be denied entry to the United States under Donald Trump’s “total shutdown.”
18 Holiday Gift Ideas—From Co-ops
by Brian Van SlykeDec 14, 2015
- Here's how to use your holiday shopping to support cooperatives.