Just the Facts
by Lilja OttoAug 09, 2006
- The costs of health care and prescriptions in the U.S. are graphically compared against the rest of the world. Why do U.S. drugs cost more?
Better Health Through Fairer
by Brydie RaganAug 09, 2006
- Being poor may be as great a risk factor in personal health as the consumption of cigarettes or junk food.
A Growing Movement
by Rev. Linda H. WallingAug 08, 2006
- As Americans pay more for less health care, a movement toward universal health care is gaining steam.
If You Ask Maine
by Tish TanskiAug 07, 2006
- Maine residents tell state what they want, government moves to give greater access to health care.
A Quick Resource Guide
Aug 07, 2006
- Audio, video and reference book resources for taking action on community and national health care reform.
Has Canada Got the Cure?
by Holly DresselAug 04, 2006
- The United States pays far more than Canada per capita for its health care services, yet Canadians get better care, according to various experts.
Americans Speak on Health Care
Aug 03, 2006
- The Citizens’ Health Care Working Group solicited opinions regarding health care and prepared a report to Congress and the President.
American Health Care: A System to Die For
Aug 03, 2006
- A visual map of health care articles in the Fall 2006 issue.
Health Care: It's What Ails Us
by Doug Pibel, Sarah van GelderJul 19, 2006
- Americans spend the most, get the least, and have no health care security. The solution is not that difficult.
We are Farmers Not Gardeners
by Roberto Dr. Cintli RodriguezJul 06, 2006
- South Central Los Angeles farmers evicted after years of harvests from a community farm maintain their protest weeks after its last occupants have been removed by sheriff deputies.
Cuba’s Hurricane Resilience - Solidarity and Readiness
by Lilja OttoMay 10, 2006
- The combination of education, planning, and practice in Cuba builds a culture of safety and puts both the logistics and motivation in place to enable people to cope with storms that cause devastation and panic elsewhere.
New Orleans to Ottawa: After the Storm, the Brainstorming Begins
by Francesca LymanMay 10, 2006
- Creative and effective responses to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita came not from where most had expected—the U.S. government—but from the grassroots.
New York City: All Together Now Keeps Urban Residents Ready for Anything
by Courtney ThompsonMay 10, 2006
- According to the New York City project All Together Now, the program set out to create disaster--resilient communities in New York City’s five boroughs by having participants meet regularly with neighbors to go over these precautionary methods and, along the way, get to know each other and each other’s needs—so that if and when disaster strikes, neighbors can rely on neighbors.
Spirituality and Movement Building
by Grace Lee BoggsApr 28, 2006
- Grace Lee Boggs believes it is that time in history again when we need to recognize our own sacredness and that in others.
Book Review: Every Day is a Good Day by Wilma Mankiller
by Lilja OttoApr 18, 2006
- Provides insights into the lives and ideas of indigenous women and invites readers to re-examine their own cultural and spiritual backgrounds.