How Strong Friendships Defy Dementia
by Marcus Harrison GreenJan 06, 2016
- The Momentia movement uses strong social ties to ward off the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Inside New Mexico’s Community Made from Trash
by YES! StaffJan 01, 2016
- People who live in this desert community of earthships say their homes can serve as a model for how society can function happily without the infrastructure and modern systems we’ve come to expect.
Our Favorite Books on How to Live a Happy and Meaningful Life
by Jill Suttie, Diana Divecha, Jeremy Adam SmithDec 31, 2015
- Thinking about your New Year’s resolutions for 2016? Here are 13 of this year’s most thought-provoking and useful nonfiction books on the science of a meaningful life.
My Year of Magical Tidying
by Erin SagenDec 28, 2015
- How getting rid of two-thirds of my belongings created more space for joy.
How Sustainability Almost Ruined Christmas
by Shannon HayesDec 25, 2015
- As a new parent I tried to delight over stocking stuffers, wrapping paper, and battery-powered plastic thingamabobs. But none of it made me happy.
After Trauma: A Graphic Journey Through Wild Healing
by Leela CormanDec 22, 2015
- In this collection of watercolor illustrations, a comics artist illustrates her journey through grief after the sudden death of her first child.
8 Amazing Muslim Women Who Would Be Banned From Trump’s America (and Other News to Chew On)
by YES! StaffDec 16, 2015
- The inner lives of drone operators, refugee camps through the eyes of children, and women who would be denied entry to the United States under Donald Trump’s “total shutdown.”
18 Holiday Gift Ideas—From Co-ops
by Brian Van SlykeDec 14, 2015
- Here's how to use your holiday shopping to support cooperatives.
It’s OK If Winter Makes You Sad
by Jason MarshDec 14, 2015
- Four scientific strategies for an emotionally authentic holiday season.
How Aziz Ansari Helped Me Embrace My “Otherhood”
by Rupa ShenoyDec 11, 2015
- Movies and TV shows are like the mirror American society looks into to understand itself. I didn’t see myself in that reflection until Aziz Ansari’s show, Master of None.
Love in the Time of Mania: Six Ways Americans Are Defying Islamophobia
by Nur LaljiDec 11, 2015
- If you watch the news, you'd think anti-Muslim hysteria is everywhere. Thankfully, that's not true.
Latinos Live Longest Despite Poverty. Here’s Their Secret
by Jasmine AguileraDec 08, 2015
- U.S. Hispanics who pass down a tradition of food, family, and healing are healthier. But can they sustain that as generations become more assimilated?
Maintaining Real Relationships in the Digital World
by Miles SchneidermanDec 08, 2015
- Social media has become a fundamental part of my life. As an American in 2015, I am the rule, not the exception. So what does healthy use of these sites look like?
Why Manning Up Is the Worst Thing to Do
by Mark GreeneDec 03, 2015
- Can we cure the toxicity of male trauma and the resulting illnesses it creates?
REI Will #OptOutside on Black Friday. Can It Change Retail (and the Economy)?
by Parag Rajendra KhandharNov 24, 2015
- All 143 REI stores will be closed on Black Friday. But what more can the co-op do to live up to its values and transform the conversation in the United States?