Seeds of Resilience
by Sarah van GelderSep 17, 2010
- Climate change, peak oil, and a stalled economy: The Fall 2010 issue of YES! Magazine shows how people step up in uncertain times to create a resilient way of life.
Can You DIY?
Sep 17, 2010
- Sweeten with honey, darn a sock, and refrigerate without electricity: Learn how to do what your grandparents knew
DIY Education: How to Start a Freeskool
by Lily GershonSep 16, 2010
- Who defines what schools are or what they teach? Why not you?
Raffi: Building A World Fit for Children
by Raffi CavoukianSep 16, 2010
- A movement to put children’s rights at the center of our collective decisions is taking hold—and it’s good news for adults, too.
Pioneers of the New Normal
by Sarah van GelderSep 14, 2010
- We’re facing a very different world than the one we knew. Here’s what people are doing to prepare …
Corporations Ain’t People: A Musical Protest
Sep 14, 2010
- Video: GLEE-inspired activism for a democracy run by human beings, not corporations.
Quality Over Quantity: Local Food & the Obesity Epidemic
by Vicki RobinSep 13, 2010
- When we sacrifice good food to have lots of food, it's a double loss. Can we use this time of thinner wallets to examine the volume of food we run through our bodies?
Resilient Ideas: A Hand-Built Home
by Sven EberleinSep 11, 2010
- No fortune? No skills? No problem. How a novice builder used mud–and teamwork–to make a house from scratch.
Interfaith Amigos: On 9/11, Getting Beyond Religious Hatred
by Rabbi Ted Falcon, Pastor Don Mackenzie, Sheikh Jamal RahmanSep 10, 2010
- Brought together by the events of 9/11, three friends from different faiths reflect on what it will take to reach the other side of hatred.
Quotes from the Quran and from Rumi
by Sarah Van GelderSep 09, 2010
- Interested in what Muslim sacred texts actually say? Here's a short selection of quotes recommend by Jamal Rahman.
Eight Ways to Confront Extremism on 9/11
by Sarah van GelderSep 09, 2010
- How to further tolerance and healing on this September 11th, an especially important time to speak up.
10 Resilient Ideas
Sep 09, 2010
- Ideas for building resilience from communities across the country–from a hand-made house to rooftop beekeeping.
Bike As You Are
by Valerie SchloredtSep 09, 2010
- Whether it's in lycra or heels, the emerging movement of "come as you are" cycling proves that anyone can bike–anytime, anywhere.
Resilient Ideas: Low-Impact Urban Living
by Sven EberleinSep 09, 2010
- The challenges of creating urban ecovillages can also be great advantages.
Resilient Ideas: Reclaim, Repair, Rebuild
by Susan DeFreitasSep 09, 2010
- How the rebuilding boom improves communities, benefits the environment, and even creates jobs.