The Story of Stuff :: Take Action
by Annie LeonardNov 03, 2008
- Many people who have seen The Story of Stuff have asked what they can do to address the problems identified in the film. There is no single simple thing to do, because the set of problems we're addressing just isn't simple. But everyone can make a difference, and the bigger your action the bigger the difference you'll make.
The Story of Stuff :: The Bigger Picture
Nov 03, 2008
- See our YES! articles to complement The Story of Stuff. Use these stories to consider the golden arrow of consumption, our identity as consumers, the purpose of an economy, what makes us happy, globalization, and what a just and sustainable world could look like.
YES! But How? :: Wool, Hemp, Bamboo
Oct 31, 2008
- Practical tips on the right long underwear, whether hemp really is the answer to everything, and how green is bamboo? Plus YES! Staff's favorite green gifts.
In Review :: YES! Film Picks - What Would Jesus Buy? / Beyond Elections
Oct 31, 2008
- YES! Film Picks: Maddening and motivating independent films - Capsule reviews of What Would Jesus Buy? and Beyond Elections.
People We Love :: Carol Bailey
by Noah GrantOct 31, 2008
- Carol Bailey repeatedly saw the pain divorce brings to couples and their children. Convinced that there must be less damaging ways to dissolve a dysfunctional marriage, she developed a new approach based on her belief that “dialogue is the highest calling of the human mind.”
How Thankful Are You?
by Stephen Post, Mike McCulloughOct 31, 2008
- The more grateful you are, the happier. Want to know your gratitude score? Take the test.
by Puanani BurgessOct 31, 2008
- Puanani Burgess tells the story of one student with a gift—a gift our schools are not cultivating.
This is Your Brain on Bliss
by Matthieu RicardOct 31, 2008
- After 2,000 years of practice, Buddhist monksknow that one secret to happiness is simply to put your mind to it.
Grief’s Hidden Gift
by Wendy CallOct 31, 2008
- What I learned about happiness during my mom's last days with cancer.
Living Large in a Tiny House
by Carol EstesOct 31, 2008
- Dee Williams doesn't need a big house to be happy. Instead she found happiness in a 84-square foot house on wheels.
The Story of Stuff :: Another Way
by Annie LeonardOct 31, 2008
- See The Story of Stuff, read our review of the film, and explore our selected YES! articles that address the complex issues that relate to our materials economy and how we can choose to live differently.
Christmas with No Presents?
by Colin BeavanOct 31, 2008
- "No Impact Man" suspected the holidays would be just as merry without all the stuff.
The Good Life Doesn’t Have to Cost the Planet
by Andrew Simms, Joe SmithOct 31, 2008
- What if you woke up one day to find that humans eventually did make the right decisions, and those decisions had all the right effects and, well, the world turned out to be a pretty cool place.
Having a Voice Makes People Happy
by Frances Moore LappeOct 31, 2008
- Most human beings are not couch potatoes and whiners. We are doers and creators. In fact, humans need to 'make a dent.'
Oct 31, 2008
- Real people show how to live the good life and share their secrets to happiness.