How to Raise an Environmentalist
by Jill SuttieSep 24, 2016
- Encouraging children to form an emotional attachment to nature may be key to protecting our planet’s future.
The Other Housing Crisis: Finding a Home in Rural America
by Melissa HellmannSep 22, 2016
- Thirty percent of rural Americans have substandard housing—and it’s expensive. But these communities are finding ways to give low-income residents homes of their own.
A Mom’s Plea for Library Books Brought in 15,000—And Transformed Her Small Town
by Jane Braxton LittleSep 19, 2016
- Lit lovers from all over the country—including authors Sherman Alexie and Neil Gaiman—sent books to reopen the rural school library.
Sorry, Trump: So Many Reasons to Welcome Immigrants
by Manuel Pastor, Magaly N. LopezSep 15, 2016
- Why cities across the country are rejecting xenophobia: They know the economic and social value of newcomers.
For Workers Who Feel Like Part of a Machine, These Companies Get It Right
by Christa HillstromSep 12, 2016
- The Good Work Code attempts to re-examine what workers and employers want and to build jobs around shared values.
6 Tips on Making Money and Staying Sane When You Work From Home
by Brandon AmbrosinoSep 11, 2016
- How to deal with anxiety, self-doubt, and “the check’s in the mail.”
A Fun Way to Stop Buying Things You Don’t Really Need
by Tracy Loeffelholz DunnSep 08, 2016
- Instead of buying the items she coveted, this artist made paintings of them. Here’s what she learned after a year of not shopping.
Can Zoos Teach Us To Be Better Humans?
by David KortenSep 07, 2016
- If we can recognize our destruction of other animals’ habitats, perhaps we can recognize our destruction of all the living systems on which we depend.
I Took a Side Job Selling Cherries at Pike Place—And Now Love the Farming World
by Fan KongSep 05, 2016
- There is a profound sense of community born from the gathering of people and the exchange of goods at a market.
My Brush With Terrorism Helped Me Find My Courage
by Simon OkeloSep 03, 2016
- Sometimes it seems that the world is responding to violence only with violence, but there are other possibilities.
The Stress-Busting, Mood-Lifting Effects of Mindfulness During Pregnancy
by Kira M. NewmanAug 27, 2016
- 4 ways a mindfulness practice can protect the health and well-being of mothers and their babies.
Call for Submissions: Science for the Public Good
by YES! StaffAug 26, 2016
- Send us your ideas by Sept 25.
Why We Need Tiny Colleges
by Marcus FordAug 26, 2016
- Could smaller—and cheaper—schools produce more thoughtful, engaged, and compassionate human beings?
To Thrive, We Must Be In Touch With Each Other
by Sarah van GelderAug 17, 2016
- When we live connected to a community, we are more likely to become champions for one another, not just for ourselves.
Thinking of Moving? Why Staying Put Could Make You Happier
by Kira M. NewmanAug 08, 2016
- A new book explores what it means to settle down and love where you live.