The good life doesn't have to cost the planet.
We Are All Connected
posted Jan 25, 2010
- Electronic musician John Boswell's project "The Symphony of Science" sets scientific knowledge to music, exploring our relationship with one another and with the universe.
YES! Recommends: No Impact Project
posted Jan 25, 2010
- No Impact Man, Colin Beavan, and his family have inspired a nation to swap their old consumer habits for new environmentally-friendly ones. The recently launched No Impact Curriculum brings the lessons learned from this year-long journey to your classroom.
Christine Everson Essay on "Know Yourself, Change Your World"
by Christine Eversonposted Jan 22, 2010
- Christine Everson, a student at Western Washington University's Woodring School of Education, read and responded to the YES! Magazine article, "Know Yourself, Change Your World" by Parker Palmer. Read Christine's essay on how she overcame fear and accepted her medical condition, with the help of a teacher she learned to trust.
Chris Claudillo Essay on "Know Yourself, Change Your World"
by Chris Caudilloposted Jan 22, 2010
- Chris Caudillo, a student at Western Washington University's Woodring School of Education, read and responded to the YES! Magazine article, "Know Yourself, Change Your World," by Parker Palmer. Read Chris' essay on how to ensure that teachers' voices speak louder than noise from Facebook, YouTube, and celebrities.
Exemplary Essay on "Blessings Revealed"
by Shawn Clarkposted Jan 22, 2010
- Shawn Clark, a senior at Northland Preparatory Academy in Flagstaff, Arizona, read and responded to the YES! Magazine article, "Blessings Revealed" by Puanani Burgess. Read Shawn's essay on how his gifts of poetry and playing guitar bring happiness to friends and others, but, in his opinion, aren't necessarily recognized by society as "smart."
Between Overworked and Out of Work
by Dean Bakerposted Jan 15, 2010
- Giving employers incentives to offer paid time off would boost employment, stimulate the economy, and help the U.S. move toward a healthier life-work balance.
Smarter School Lunches
by Ellen Mahoneyposted Jan 12, 2010
- Healthy, local food for all kids? "Renegade Lunch Lady" Ann Cooper is starting a revolution in school cafeterias.
John Francis Walks the Earth
posted Jan 08, 2010
- For over two decades, John Francis has been traveling the planet by foot and sail learning about environmental respect. For 17 of those years, he did so without speaking. Luckily for us, he's taken to spreading his message—here in a speech for TED.
Is Laughter the Best Medicine?
by R. Morgan Griffinposted Jan 07, 2010
- Feeling rundown? Try laughing more. Some researchers think laughter just might be the best medicine, helping you feel better and putting that spring back in your step.
Transition Albany: A Local Response to Climate Change
by Pamela O'Malley Changposted Jan 06, 2010
- Meet Catherine Sutton, the initiator of Transition Albany—the effort of a 1.7-square-mile California town (population 16,500+) to transform itself into a self-reliant and resilient community.
12 Innovations From the '00s That Could Save Us
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jan 01, 2010
- With climate disruption, war, and a faltering economy, the '00s were tough. Still, seeds were sewn for a more green and egalitarian 2010s. And peoples movements offer the power to make real change happen.
10 Courageous Things You Can Do to Build Community
by Milenko Matanovicposted Dec 29, 2009
- Building strong communities is critical, hard work. It’s also one of the most courageous and important things each of us can do every day.
Growing Home—Urban Agriculture in Chicago
posted Dec 29, 2009
- Orrin Williams of Growing Home explains urban agriculture's crucial role in rebuilding our cities and communities—from increasing job security and food access to decreasing the environmental impact of farming.
Birds on Wires Making Music
posted Dec 23, 2009
- Listen to Jarbas Agnelli’s beautiful melody inspired by a photo of birds sitting on electrical wires, using the exact location of the birds to determine the melody's notes.
No Impact Man Movie Trailer
posted Dec 23, 2009
- No car, no washing machine, no toilet paper? Preview how Colin Beavan and family fared in their one-year commitment to have no impact on the environment.