Making a Difference Makes You Happy
by Tim KasserMay 05, 2010
- A series of studies find that activism brings pleasant emotions, greater life satisfaction, and more experiences of freedom, competence, and connection to others.
¡Hola! The Future Is Now
by Michelle ContrerasMay 05, 2010
- First grade teacher Michelle Contreras uses two-way Spanish immersion and touch therapy to connect with her students.
New Challenges for Community Clinics
by Tom David, Jane Elizabeth StaffordMay 04, 2010
- Now that a version of health care reform has passed, what will happen to the institutions that have helped the poor and uninsured cope: community clinics and health centers?
Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution: Teach Every Child About Food
May 03, 2010
- Oliver passionately urges us to get food smart to live longer.
Big Apple Kids from 194 Countries
May 03, 2010
- Danny Goldfield’s NYChildren project captures images of kids from the world's 194 countries. Catch the project's spirit–it’s more than just pictures.
Bottle Bank Arcade-What Happens When We Make Choices Fun?
May 03, 2010
- Turning bottle recycling into an arcade game produces smiles and a healthier planet.
Beyond Us and Them
by Sheikh Jamal RahmanApr 30, 2010
- Very often, what we dislike in others is something that we need to acknowledge, heal, integrate, and empower in ourselves.
Visual Learning: Happiness Is Where You Find It
by Jing FongApr 28, 2010
- With this YES! lesson plan, try to truly understand an image, its message, and why it’s interesting (or not). In this case it's all about happiness.
Apr 23, 2010
- The residents of Portland are literally tearing their city up. Who says cities have to be islands of concrete?
The State of the Earth, 2010
by Rebecca SolnitApr 22, 2010
- We're in a very bad way. But we also know the solution would make most of us richer—even if not in the ways we are presently accustomed to counting as wealth.
Beyond Vaccines: Addressing the Social Causes of Poor Health
by Roseanne August, Beverly BellApr 21, 2010
- One health clinic in Port-Au-Prince is using art, education, and community to help its patients heal. What can international aid agencies learn from their model?
Chicago’s $1.3 Million Experiment in Democracy
by Josh Lerner, Megan Wade AntieauApr 20, 2010
- For the first time in the U.S., the city's 49th Ward lets taxpayers directly decide how public money is spent.
Getting to the Heart of Interfaith
by Pastor Don MackenzieApr 19, 2010
- Learn more about the book in which we tell the story of how our interfaith work came about.
Social Action: The Church’s Ministry in the World
by Pastor Don MackenzieApr 16, 2010
- Somewhere in our history, the link between inner spirituality and its expression in the world as loving social action grew faint. To renew that connection, we can draw deeply on traditions that call attention to our Oneness.
Up By Our Bootstraps?
by Andrée ZaleskaApr 14, 2010
- Sharing our stories of tough times can help us discover that we're not facing them alone—and that we can support each other in building a society that works for everyone.