Happy Cities for the Global South: Interview with Enrique Peñalosa
by Jay WalljasperJul 02, 2010
- Former Bogotá mayor Enrique Peñalosa is convincing city planners from Beijing to Mexico City to create lively public spaces that center around people and community, not cars.
Better Than Facebook?
by David BollierJun 30, 2010
- Fed up with Facebook's commercialism, four NYU students have created an open source, peer-to-peer alternative: Diaspora.
Every Teacher a Peace Teacher
by David Jackson CookJun 29, 2010
- At the heart of new Peace Studies programs is the declaration that nonviolence, peace, and justice are not utopian dreams but real and practical ways in which humans can affect the world around them.
Live Dangerously: 10 Easy Steps
by Shannon HayesJun 28, 2010
- When Shannon Hayes made a list of easy steps for becoming a radical homemaker, she didn't realize just how revolutionary they were.
Back to Shore
by Pastor Don MackenzieJun 25, 2010
- A drift from substance is a recurring pattern in religious life. What will it take to call ourselves back to the essentials?
Update: Post-Prison Garden Project Grows Earth Stewards
by Berit AndersonJun 25, 2010
- Ten years ago YES! Magazine reported on Cathrine Sneed and her Garden Project. Today there are 37 Earth Stewards and seven full-time Garden Project employees.
Step Away From the Plastic Bag
by Kim EckartJun 25, 2010
- Our associate editor experiments with life after plastic bags.
Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature
by Rev. Wendy L. BellJun 25, 2010
- The Rev. Wendy L. Bell reviews Kathleen Dean Moore latest book. Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature
People Without Homes, Homes Without People
by Brooke JarvisJun 24, 2010
- In New York City, low-income people fighting for affordable housing are taking on the developers of vacant condo projects.
Danny Glover: Let’s Reclaim Our Country
by Sarah van GelderJun 23, 2010
- Actor and activist Danny Glover on how the Social Forum is strengthening people's movements.
10 Ways Our World is Becoming More Shareable
by Neal Gorenflo, Jeremy Adam SmithJun 22, 2010
- We're sharing more things, more deeply, with more people. Why sharing is the answer to some of today's biggest questions.
The Web as Random Acts of Kindness
Jun 22, 2010
- Jonathan Zittrain gives reason to hope for the future of the Internet.
Solstice in a Finnish Village
Jun 21, 2010
- Bonfires, birch branches, and saunas. And a chance to discover who will be your true love.
Development Redefined: A Holistic Vision in Bangladesh
by Suzanna FinleyJun 17, 2010
- Photo essay: Bangladeshi activists promote development that's rooted in indigenous knowledge and community values.
Life After Worry
by Akaya WindwoodJun 15, 2010
- Imagine what could happen if instead of focusing on worst-case scenarios and fears, we put our attention on what we deeply desire and are working toward?