The Case for Sustainable Meat
by Shannon HayesMay 12, 2010
- Can meat have a place in the life of a “radical homemaker” trying to live sustainably? Farmer Shannon Hayes believes it can.
Building the World We Want: Interview with Mark Lakeman
by Brooke JarvisMay 12, 2010
- Interview with the co-founder of the City Repair Project, a Portland group that helps neighbors turn public spaces into gathering places.
The Village Building Convergence
May 12, 2010
- Portland, Ore. is the home of the Village Building Convergence, an annual event that draws on the power and creativity of neighbors to build the places they'd like to live.
Compassion Comes First
by Rabbi Ted FalconMay 06, 2010
- Seattle makes a 10-year commitment to become a more compassionate city.
Neighbors for a New Economy
by Chuck CollinsMay 05, 2010
- In Greenfield, Mass., a group of neighbors have formed a support group to face their changing world.
Making a Difference Makes You Happy
by Tim KasserMay 05, 2010
- A series of studies find that activism brings pleasant emotions, greater life satisfaction, and more experiences of freedom, competence, and connection to others.
¡Hola! The Future Is Now
by Michelle ContrerasMay 05, 2010
- First grade teacher Michelle Contreras uses two-way Spanish immersion and touch therapy to connect with her students.
New Challenges for Community Clinics
by Tom David, Jane Elizabeth StaffordMay 04, 2010
- Now that a version of health care reform has passed, what will happen to the institutions that have helped the poor and uninsured cope: community clinics and health centers?
Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution: Teach Every Child About Food
May 03, 2010
- Oliver passionately urges us to get food smart to live longer.
Big Apple Kids from 194 Countries
May 03, 2010
- Danny Goldfield’s NYChildren project captures images of kids from the world's 194 countries. Catch the project's spirit–it’s more than just pictures.
Bottle Bank Arcade-What Happens When We Make Choices Fun?
May 03, 2010
- Turning bottle recycling into an arcade game produces smiles and a healthier planet.
Beyond Us and Them
by Sheikh Jamal RahmanApr 30, 2010
- Very often, what we dislike in others is something that we need to acknowledge, heal, integrate, and empower in ourselves.
Visual Learning: Happiness Is Where You Find It
by Jing FongApr 28, 2010
- With this YES! lesson plan, try to truly understand an image, its message, and why it’s interesting (or not). In this case it's all about happiness.
Apr 23, 2010
- The residents of Portland are literally tearing their city up. Who says cities have to be islands of concrete?
The State of the Earth, 2010
by Rebecca SolnitApr 22, 2010
- We're in a very bad way. But we also know the solution would make most of us richer—even if not in the ways we are presently accustomed to counting as wealth.