Intentional Integration in Pennsauken, N.J.
by M. Paloma PavelMar 04, 2010
- Pennsauken, pop. 36,800, established a Stable Integration Board to oversee real-estate transactions and other efforts, and a multicultural community has flourished.
Blended Nation: Photos That Teach About the Complexities of Race
by Berit AndersonMar 04, 2010
- Mark Tauber's Blended Nation is a book that chronicles the struggle for identity faced by mixed-race individuals.
Comedian Teja Arboleda Uses Humor to Break Down Racial Barriers
by Ashlee GreenMar 04, 2010
- Teja Arboleda is part of a new generation of mixed-race comedians who are using humor to break down racial barriers.
Can Money Buy Education?
by Shannon HayesMar 02, 2010
- Radical homemaker Shannon Hayes taught her daughter that their family doesn't buy things they can make or grow at home. She then had to wonder: Does that include higher education?
El Otro Lado: Immigrant Stories Become Public Art
by Judy Herzl, Aaron SternFeb 26, 2010
- How residents of Santa Fe are breaking down barriers and growing closer as a community.
Homegrown Aid in Haiti
by Beverly BellFeb 25, 2010
- Many displaced Haitians are turning to neighbors, family, and peasant organizations in the countryside for help.
Head, Heart, and Hands: Breaking the Cycle of Religious Fear
by Sheikh Jamal RahmanFeb 18, 2010
- By learning the foundations of each other's faiths, we can learn to respect and connect with one another so we may work together to build a better world.
Lessons from Howard Zinn
by Anthony ArnoveFeb 16, 2010
- The late historian and activist lived a life of struggle—and enjoyed it to its fullest.
We Won't Bow Down
by Rebecca SolnitFeb 15, 2010
- The tradition of Carnival teaches us that resistance to the status quo can be a pleasure and an adventure.
Help Without Humiliation
by Beverly BellFeb 15, 2010
- Haitian community groups are organizing to bring food to the hungry in ways that don't reinforce dependence.
Economic Trouble? Join the Club
by Andrée Collier ZaleskaFeb 12, 2010
- How can we support each other through hard times? An update from Common Security Clubs in Portland, Boston, and Fort Lauderdale.
World Economic Forum, Take Two
by Brooke JarvisFeb 12, 2010
- Prankster filmmakers found a way to make business and political leaders say all the right things.
Breakthrough Communities: Lessons from Pennsauken, N.J.
by M. Paloma PavelFeb 12, 2010
- M. Paloma Pavel, founder of Breakthrough Communities and president of Earth House Center, shares tips for intentional integration in your community.
Building Cultures of Peace
by Riane EislerFeb 11, 2010
- To transition from a system of domination to one of partnership, we need to take a hard look at the way we think about gender.
Meeting Faith: An Inward Odyssey
by Faith AdieleFeb 11, 2010
- American Girls: An excerpt from Faith Adiele's memoir.