A Taste of Freedom at Home
by Adam & Kibby MacKinnonNov 07, 2007
- Living their values in a community in Seattle, Adam and Kibby MacKinnon describe how Emma Goldman Finishing School provides a new kind of freedom.
It Took a Village
by Heather MuellerNov 07, 2007
- In Miami, homeless citizens didn’t wait for the city. They created their own home and found dignity and safety.
Can We Talk?
by Vicki RobinNov 07, 2007
- Conversation Cafés are there to create a space for diverse strangers and neighbors to gather and talk about things of common interest and concern—culture, politics, philosophy and more.
Reclaiming Our Freedom to Learn
by Gustavo EstevaNov 07, 2007
- Creating alternatives to traditional schools, in Oaxaca they created their own university, "unitierra", where students learn whatever they want to learn, where students are their communities, and learn by apprenticeship.
The Fine Art of Raising a Ruckus
by Jen AngelNov 07, 2007
- Clowns and puppets, theater and drumbeats—street spectacle carves out space for experiencing a new world.
Live Free—Do It Yourself
by Sarah van Gelder, Doug PibelNov 07, 2007
- The consumer life carries invisible chains. Let's make spaces where we can be free. Step off the path. Free of debt, free of consumerism, moving into community and joy.
Taking Freedom to the Streets
by Sarah van GelderNov 07, 2007
- By liberating exterior spaces, people are also freeing their minds and hearts and opening up the potential of human society for greatness. Sarah van Gelder introduces the "Liberate Your Space" Winter 2008 issue of YES!
In Review :: Personal Safety Nets
by Lisa FarinoSep 17, 2007
- Book review: Personal Safety Nets: Getting Ready for Life's Inevitable Changes & Challenges by John W. Gibson and Judy Pigott.
David Solnit Stands Up For Protest
Aug 29, 2007
- David Solnit Stands Up For Protest
My Year of Eating Local: Zucchini Wars
by Barbara KingsolverJul 26, 2007
- In an excerpt from the book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle", Barbara Kingsolver writes of the challenges of dealing with growing zucchini.
Jul 17, 2007
- Examples of how art is used nationwide to promote the healing process.
Americans Who Tell the Truth :: David Korten
by Robert ShetterlyJul 14, 2007
- Robert Shetterly’s remarkable collection of portraits reminds us of the dignity, courage and importance of America's truth tellers. This portrait: YES! Board Chair David Korten.
Pass it On
by Alice LovelaceJun 27, 2007
- Poetry by Alice Lovelace
Jun 14, 2007
- A preview of the documentary film ¡Salud! which examines the Cuban health care system and its role in the quest for global health.
Baptists and Popular Education in Cuba: an interview with Joel Suárez
by Sarah van Gelder, Justine SimonJun 12, 2007
- An interview with Joel Suárez, the general coordinator of the Martin Luther King Center in Havana, Cuba. He discusses the three founding pillars of the movement, as well as the lead up to the 1992 changes in Cuba's constitution that ratified the state's secular nature.