10 Things I Swore I’d Never Do As A Parent—And What I Learned From Doing Them Anyway
by Shannon HayesJun 19, 2015
- When it was my turn to raise kids, I was certain I’d get it all right. But parenting doesn’t happen by the book.
Video: How to Pickle Beets
by Liz PleasantJun 12, 2015
- The simple and easy way to pickle your beets at home.
"Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" Director on Making the Quirky Film that Became a Sundance Hit
by Christopher Zumski FinkeJun 11, 2015
- For Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, shooting this funny, intimate film was a healing experience.
How a Bronx Theater Uses Avant-Garde Theater to Teach Everyday Activism
by Araz HachadourianJun 10, 2015
- Whether the crisis is AIDS or cyber-bullying, Pregones Theater’s empathy-based theater techniques help young people rehearse for action.
5 Medicinal Herbs You Can Grow in Your Backyard
by Miles SchneidermanJun 03, 2015
- These herbs aren't just for cooking—here's how you can use them to treat ailments from asthma to anxiety.
How Do You Say Goodbye to a Family Pet?
by Shannon HayesJun 01, 2015
- When my family's dog passed away, I was faced with the question of how to talk to my children about sadness and death.
Like to Blame Others When Bad Things Happen? Here's What You're Missing Out On
by Liz PleasantMay 29, 2015
- This best-selling author explains why blame is bad for us and our relationships.
The Radical Homemaker’s Guide to Watching Your Parents Age
by Shannon HayesMay 27, 2015
- When my mom had a medical emergency on Mother's Day, I was reminded to cherish the time I have with her.
Ireland Votes to Legalize Gay Marriage
by Liz PleasantMay 26, 2015
- Ireland makes history by legalizing gay marriage—reminding people that change is possible.
This Cancer Survivor Makes Greeting Cards for When “Get Well” Won’t Cut It
by Liz PleasantMay 22, 2015
- Tired of the lack of understanding with traditional "Get well soon" cards, Emily McDowell decided to create an alternative.
This Harry Potter Enthusiast Just Came Out as Trans on YouTube—And Thousands of People Are Watching
by Christopher Zumski FinkeMay 21, 2015
- Texas-born Jackson Bird waited 25 years to come out. Here's why he did it online.
These Minnesotans Boosted Walking in Their Small Town by 70 Percent. Here's How.
by Jay WalljasperMay 18, 2015
- In Albert Lea, Minnesota, residents rejuvenated their rural community through increased physical activity.
Chicago Just Became the First U.S. City to Pay Reparations to Victims of Police Torture
by Araz HachadourianMay 15, 2015
- For nearly 20 years, officers of the Chicago Police Department tortured more than 100 people. How survivors and their lawyers won a decades-long fight.
What If Your Hometown Became "America's Rape Capital"?
by Christopher Zumski FinkeMay 14, 2015
- Missoula has a problem—just like every college town in America. A sociologist weighs in on Jon Krakauer's new book about sexual assault at the University of Montana.
Watch John Oliver Explain How Absurd the US Standardized Testing System Is
by Liz PleasantMay 08, 2015
- John Oliver does a damn good job of explaining how ridiculous our standardized testing system is.