The Movement to Live More Simply Is Older Than You Think
by Roman KrznaricDec 05, 2013
- What might history teach us about living more simple, less consumerist lifestyles?
How The King of Portland's Deli Scene Cured His Diabetes Through Diet (and Kept the Pastrami)
by Ken GordonDec 04, 2013
- When this foodie chef was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, he figured out how to get healthy without giving up his favorite foods.
StoryCorps: On Black Friday, Don’t Shop For Loved Ones—Listen to Them
by Natalie LubsenNov 28, 2013
- Finish out the holiday week by taking a few minutes to record the story of someone you love. We guarantee it will mean more to you than shopping.
How I Got My Husband to Take Care of His Body (Even Though He Just Wants to Take Care of Me)
by Shannon HayesNov 27, 2013
- If it takes being a "controlling wife" to make my husband value his own health over his love for his family, I'm going to do it.
Frances Moore Lappé: Delicious Food Is Not An Indulgence—It’s a Way to Solve Our Ecological Crises
by Frances Moore LappeNov 27, 2013
- Since I first published “Diet for a Small Planet” in 1971, the movement for food that is good for our bodies and our planet has blossomed beyond what I ever imagined. Here’s how.
What Occupy Oakland Taught Me About Healthy Eating
by AshEL EldridgeNov 26, 2013
- We came to Occupy because of America’s dangerous gap between rich and poor. But equally distressing was how many of us suffered from diseases created by a food system that makes healthy food inaccessible to the poor.
Forget the Food Industry: Rediscover the Pleasure of Buying, Cooking, and Eating Real Food
by Arun GuptaNov 22, 2013
- Junk food may have captured the American palate, but a few simple ingredients and techniques can win it back.
8 Courageous Things Harry Potter Fans Did to Fight Real-Life Dark Forces
by Katrina RabelerNov 22, 2013
- If Harry Potter were a real person, he’d fight child labor, voter suppression, and poverty. Here are our favorite ways Harry's fans have taken his values from the page to the real world.
The Hunger Games Are Real: Teenage Fans Remind the World What Katniss Is Really Fighting For
by Christopher Zumski FinkeNov 22, 2013
- What if we used fantasy not as an escape from our world, but an invitation to look deeper into it? How teenage fans are fighting injustice—in real life.
"Beauty Feeds a Different Kind of Hunger": An Interview with Terry Tempest Williams
by Devon FredericksenNov 21, 2013
- "I used to ask the question, 'Am I an activist or a writer?' I don't ask that anymore. I am simply a human being engaged."
"Escape Fire" Doc Explores the Fight to Rescue American Healthcare
by Valerie SchloredtNov 19, 2013
- Beyond the Affordable Care Act, the film explores how to make a healthier America.
How To Eat Like Our Lives Depend On It: Rediscovering the Many Joys of Food
by Sarah van GelderNov 19, 2013
- It's time to reclaim the well-being and exuberance that is part of healthy food culture.
Art for the Sky
by Daniel DancerNov 18, 2013
- Daniel Dancer's Art For the Sky is a unique, team-building activity for schools and special events. These enchanting creations on acres of land are a whole-body way of stimulating imagination and understanding the interconnection of people and all life.
Nov 18, 2013
- KarmaTube music video on kindness.
20 Ways to Practice Gratitude
by Jing FongNov 18, 2013
- This mandala-esque poster is a happy self-care tool, and can also be adapted to classroom use.