The good life doesn't have to cost the planet.
Green Housing: In Buffalo, It's Not Just for Rich People Anymore
by Mark Andrew Boyerposted Feb 15, 2013
- Can we build sustainable housing that's affordable, too? The city of Buffalo did, and created a community jobs pipeline in the process. Here's what can happen when neighborhoods take the lead.
Photographs from James Baldwin’s Turkish Decade
by Sedat Pakay, Charles Johnsonposted Feb 12, 2013
- Sedat Pakay’s disarming photos of James Baldwin during his time in Turkey show a side of the great writer most of us have never seen.
- James Baldwin in Turkey
Oakland Youth Swap Fast Food for Fresh Food
by YES! online staffposted Feb 12, 2013
- Video: A group of young people in West Oakland are taking control of what they eat and using pedal power to bring local groceries to produce-strapped communities.
The Power of Outrospection
posted Feb 07, 2013
- Video: Roman Krznaric on the concept of “outrospection” and how it could shape the 21st century—all illustrated with animated cartoons!
People We Love: David Feld
by Fabien Tepperposted Feb 07, 2013
- Designing nonviolent ways for humans and animals to live in harmony—in the city.
People We Love: Leia Lewis Henderson
by Laura Beansposted Feb 07, 2013
- Nurturing African-American culture through gardening.
Shooting Stars and Living Spirit
by Roberto Vargasposted Feb 01, 2013
4 Lessons for Growing a Family Farm across Generations
by Shannon Hayesposted Feb 01, 2013
- Breaking our families into nuclear units has an ecological and emotional cost. Could the multigenerational farm remind us where to turn for a viable future?
Language and Metaphors for a New Cosmology
by Tim Foxposted Feb 01, 2013
You Are Where You Live
by Susan Griffinposted Jan 30, 2013
- How the sky, rain, geography, and cultures of our place shape us.
Sex in the Wild (a First-Hand Account)
by Eva Haywardposted Jan 30, 2013
- What I learned about love from a hermaphrodite, a cannibal, and a dizzyingly diverse array of sea creatures.
Bringing (Human) Diversity to America’s National Parks
by YES! Online Staffposted Jan 28, 2013
- Video: Take a journey to Yosemite National Park with the Amazing Grace 50+ Club, a Los Angeles-based church group that strives to bring more people of color to our national parks.
Food or Ethanol? Why Farmers Shouldn’t Give in to Monocrops
by Shannon Hayesposted Jan 25, 2013
- It’s a good time to be in farming if you like to grow corn. It’s a tough time if you see yourself as a steward of the land. Shannon Hayes on why growers pressured by corn-heavy markets should hold out for crops that nourish the Earth.
Tomorrow, We March on Washington to End the Gun Violence
by Rev. Jacqui Lewisposted Jan 25, 2013
- Twenty-two times more children have been killed by guns since 1979 than military personnel in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined. Rev. Jacqui Lewis on why all of us—from clergy to factory workers—must not be too sad, too busy, or too afraid to say, enough.