Health & Healing
Healing a broken system.
My Year Without Porn: Some Surprising Lessons
by Dan Mahleposted Feb 19, 2014
- Since I quit watching porn a year ago, I've become more present in the moment, more loving, and a better friend to the women in my life.
Fresh and Fly: Denver Rapper Teaches Kids to Be Gardeners Not Gangstas
posted Jan 28, 2014
- For Ietef "DJ Cavem" Vita, HIP HOP is not just a form of music, it's a way of life—one he's using to teach kids about cultivating the earth and eating fresh veggies.
How Cooking Can Change Your Life
posted Jan 28, 2014
- In this powerful RSA Short, Michael Pollan shares some real talk about the difference between home cooked food and food made by corporations.
With Only Months to Live, This 17-Year-Old Inspired Millions with Music and Love
by YES! online staffposted Jan 24, 2014
- When he was just 14 years old, Zach Sobiech learned that he had only a few years to live. He decided to use that time creating beautiful music, and inspired a lot of people while doing so.
Sitting Is the New Smoking: Why Walking Is the “Secret Sauce” for Better Health and Happier Communities
by Jay Walljasperposted Jan 06, 2014
- Whether you live in the ‘burbs, the city, or the middle of nowhere, the "wonder drug" of walking is just what the doctor ordered.
Italy’s “Slow Food” Pioneer: How My Love for Food Ripened into a Life's Work
by Sarah van Gelderposted Dec 20, 2013
- “Our philosophy is good, clean, and fair food: Good because it is healthy and tasty; clean because it is produced with low environmental impact and with animal welfare in mind; and fair because it respects the work of those who produce, process, and distribute it.”
How a Cup of Nettle Tea Taught Me How To Live Well and Remember the Past
by Valerie Segrestposted Dec 18, 2013
- I am a Muckleshoot Indian, but little of what I used to eat bore much connection with the landscape I lived in, which had fed my ancestors for many generations. When I discovered nettle tea, it was as if I were remembering what it was like to feel well.
This Farmhouse Cookbook Will Show You How Gathering at the Table Can Revive Your Spirit
by YES! Editorsposted Dec 12, 2013
- Visit the remote kitchen of a writers' refuge where Dorothy Allison, Ruth Ozeki, and other women discovered radical hospitality for the body and soul.
The Surprising Healing Qualities ... of Dirt
by Daphne Millerposted Dec 06, 2013
- A doctor discovers exposure to healthy farm soil holds keys to healthy bodies.
Can Football Teach Boys Compassion Instead of Aggression? Two Videos Show Us It Can.
by Ariel Cheslerposted Dec 06, 2013
- Two videos making the rounds online show us what happens when boys embrace their vulnerability and support one another's emotional needs.
Infographic: Michael Pollan Says Home Cooking Might be the Single Best Way to Improve Your Health
by Doug Pibelposted Dec 05, 2013
- We spend less time in the kitchen than ever. But cooking could be an important solution to our public health crisis.
How The King of Portland's Deli Scene Cured His Diabetes Through Diet (and Kept the Pastrami)
by Ken Gordonposted Dec 04, 2013
- When this foodie chef was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, he figured out how to get healthy without giving up his favorite foods.
How I Got My Husband to Take Care of His Body (Even Though He Just Wants to Take Care of Me)
by Shannon Hayesposted Nov 27, 2013
- If it takes being a "controlling wife" to make my husband value his own health over his love for his family, I'm going to do it.
Frances Moore Lappé: Delicious Food Is Not An Indulgence—It’s a Way to Solve Our Ecological Crises
by Frances Moore Lappéposted Nov 27, 2013
- Since I first published “Diet for a Small Planet” in 1971, the movement for food that is good for our bodies and our planet has blossomed beyond what I ever imagined. Here’s how.
"Escape Fire" Doc Explores the Fight to Rescue American Healthcare
by Valerie Schloredtposted Nov 19, 2013
- Beyond the Affordable Care Act, the film explores how to make a healthier America.