5 Medicinal Herbs You Can Grow in Your Backyard
by Miles SchneidermanJun 03, 2015
- These herbs aren't just for cooking—here's how you can use them to treat ailments from asthma to anxiety.
This Cancer Survivor Makes Greeting Cards for When “Get Well” Won’t Cut It
by Liz PleasantMay 22, 2015
- Tired of the lack of understanding with traditional "Get well soon" cards, Emily McDowell decided to create an alternative.
These Minnesotans Boosted Walking in Their Small Town by 70 Percent. Here's How.
by Jay WalljasperMay 18, 2015
- In Albert Lea, Minnesota, residents rejuvenated their rural community through increased physical activity.
"I Wish My Teacher Had Known..."—Adults on How Teacher Empathy Could Have Changed Their Lives
by Lindsey WeedstonApr 23, 2015
- Teachers don't always know the challenges kids deal with outside of the classroom. Sometimes talking can make all the difference.
3 Rad Vegan Chefs Share Their Inspiration (and Recipes!)
by Miles Schneiderman, Peter D'AuriaMar 10, 2015
- And agree that healthy, sustainable cooking can still be delicious and enjoyed by all.
How to Grow Oyster Mushrooms at Home (and Get Plenty of Flavor and Protein for Free)
by YES! editorsJan 02, 2015
- You don't need a garden to grow mushrooms—any cool, shady space will do, even a cupboard or dark corner.
Video: This Philly Beauty Salon and Rehab Clinic Helps People Heal—With a Little Magical Realism
by YES! EditorsDec 19, 2014
- A new documentary, "Hollywood Beauty Salon," lets people who struggle with mental illness and addiction tell their own stories in unexpected ways.
What I Learned About Living From Dying of Cancer
by Marcy WesterlingOct 23, 2014
- Many more patients are now living for years with the diagnosis of terminal illness. The author describes her journey to what she calls “livingly dying”—facing her death by living in the moment with grace and mindfulness.
How to Pickle Almost Anything
by Doug Pibel, Tracy Loeffelholz Dunn, Kali SwensonOct 15, 2014
- Why ferment? It’s practical magic. Here are a few basics to get you started.
Video: A Bear and Fox Show Why Empathy Brings Us Closer than Sympathy
Oct 03, 2014
- Empathy involves a deeper connection than sympathy does, and often means sharing a bit of emotional vulnerability.
The Neurochemistry Of Empathy, In Claymation
by RISD FAVAug 08, 2014
- Want to understand the science behind empathy? This quick video explains why and when we care.
Scared of Biking in Traffic? These Cities Are Making It Safe
by Jay WalljasperJul 10, 2014
- To get people on bikes in big numbers, cities are finding that it's essential to separate bike lanes from traffic.
Acupuncture, Yoga, and Massage: Not Just for Rich People
by Liz PleasantJun 06, 2014
- From Oakland to Brooklyn, practitioners of holistic health care are working to make their services affordable for all.
7 Ways to Garden Like You Know What You're Doing (Even If You're Just Getting Started)
by Terra WellingtonMay 15, 2014
- A few simple guidelines to follow when breaking out the trowel and gloves.
How Better Health Care for the Poor Makes a Stronger Economy for All
by Imara JonesApr 07, 2014
- By keeping workers healthy, the Affordable Care Act will help the working poor achieve greater financial stability—and will probably boost the economy as well.