6 Cities Designing for Health
by Anna ClarkJan 11, 2016
- From Detroit to Edinburgh, these cities are helping residents live more healthful and equitable lives.
How Strong Friendships Defy Dementia
by Marcus Harrison GreenJan 06, 2016
- The Momentia movement uses strong social ties to ward off the effects of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Maintaining Real Relationships in the Digital World
by Miles SchneidermanDec 08, 2015
- Social media has become a fundamental part of my life. As an American in 2015, I am the rule, not the exception. So what does healthy use of these sites look like?
How College Students Are Resisting the Mental-Illness Stigma
by Donna JackelNov 24, 2015
- Student-led organizations are bringing mental illness into the light to lower the suicide rates of young people.
Take a Walk: 11 Ways to Build the Healthy Habit
by Jay WalljasperOct 16, 2015
- Walking might just be the easiest way to get in daily exercise. Here are a few ways to make the practice even easier.
Surgeon General’s Prescription for Health: Walk More
by Jay WalljasperSep 15, 2015
- New landmark report announces national campaign to encourage Americans to walk more, by making communities safer and more accessible.
This Artist Collects Your Worst Fears and Turns Them Into Something Great
by Alexa StrabukAug 27, 2015
- The Fear Project uses art to visually interpret the parts of life that scare us the most, normalizing fear as a part of ourselves.
After 20 Years Reporting on Solutions, I’m Going on a Journey to Find Where Hope Lies Now
by Sarah van GelderAug 13, 2015
- YES! co-founder Sarah van Gelder sets out on a road trip to find the edge of change.
7 Small Towns Taking Big Steps to Get People Walking
by Jay WalljasperJul 09, 2015
- These communities are helping residents take steps towards healthier lives by making walking a priority.
5 Medicinal Herbs You Can Grow in Your Backyard
by Miles SchneidermanJun 03, 2015
- These herbs aren't just for cooking—here's how you can use them to treat ailments from asthma to anxiety.
This Cancer Survivor Makes Greeting Cards for When “Get Well” Won’t Cut It
by Liz PleasantMay 22, 2015
- Tired of the lack of understanding with traditional "Get well soon" cards, Emily McDowell decided to create an alternative.
These Minnesotans Boosted Walking in Their Small Town by 70 Percent. Here's How.
by Jay WalljasperMay 18, 2015
- In Albert Lea, Minnesota, residents rejuvenated their rural community through increased physical activity.
"I Wish My Teacher Had Known..."—Adults on How Teacher Empathy Could Have Changed Their Lives
by Lindsey WeedstonApr 23, 2015
- Teachers don't always know the challenges kids deal with outside of the classroom. Sometimes talking can make all the difference.
3 Rad Vegan Chefs Share Their Inspiration (and Recipes!)
by Miles Schneiderman, Peter D'AuriaMar 10, 2015
- And agree that healthy, sustainable cooking can still be delicious and enjoyed by all.
How to Grow Oyster Mushrooms at Home (and Get Plenty of Flavor and Protein for Free)
by YES! editorsJan 02, 2015
- You don't need a garden to grow mushrooms—any cool, shady space will do, even a cupboard or dark corner.