5 Habits of Highly Compassionate Men
by Kozo HattoriApr 02, 2014
- Having compassion leads to increased happiness, freedom from gender stereotypes, and better relationships with others.
A Happy Life or a Meaningful One—Do We Really Need to Choose?
by Jill Suttie, Jason MarshMar 11, 2014
- Researchers continue to debate whether people face a genuine trade-off between seeking a happy life and a meaningful one.
My Year Without Porn: Some Surprising Lessons
by Dan MahleFeb 19, 2014
- Since I quit watching porn a year ago, I've become more present in the moment, more loving, and a better friend to the women in my life.
How Cooking Can Change Your Life
Jan 28, 2014
- In this powerful RSA Short, Michael Pollan shares some real talk about the difference between home cooked food and food made by corporations.
Fresh and Fly: Denver Rapper Teaches Kids to Be Gardeners Not Gangstas
by DJ CavemJan 28, 2014
- For Ietef "DJ Cavem" Vita, HIP HOP is not just a form of music, it's a way of life—one he's using to teach kids about cultivating the earth and eating fresh veggies.
With Only Months to Live, This 17-Year-Old Inspired Millions with Music and Love
by YES! online staffJan 24, 2014
- When he was just 14 years old, Zach Sobiech learned that he had only a few years to live. He decided to use that time creating beautiful music, and inspired a lot of people while doing so.
Sitting Is the New Smoking: Why Walking Is the “Secret Sauce” for Better Health and Happier Communities
by Jay WalljasperJan 06, 2014
- Whether you live in the ‘burbs, the city, or the middle of nowhere, the "wonder drug" of walking is just what the doctor ordered.
Italy’s “Slow Food” Pioneer: How My Love for Food Ripened into a Life's Work
by Sarah van GelderDec 20, 2013
- “Our philosophy is good, clean, and fair food: Good because it is healthy and tasty; clean because it is produced with low environmental impact and with animal welfare in mind; and fair because it respects the work of those who produce, process, and distribute it.”
How a Cup of Nettle Tea Taught Me How To Live Well and Remember the Past
by Valerie SegrestDec 18, 2013
- I am a Muckleshoot Indian, but little of what I used to eat bore much connection with the landscape I lived in, which had fed my ancestors for many generations. When I discovered nettle tea, it was as if I were remembering what it was like to feel well.
This Farmhouse Cookbook Will Show You How Gathering at the Table Can Revive Your Spirit
by YES! EditorsDec 12, 2013
- Visit the remote kitchen of a writers' refuge where Dorothy Allison, Ruth Ozeki, and other women discovered radical hospitality for the body and soul.
The Surprising Healing Qualities ... of Dirt
by Daphne MillerDec 06, 2013
- A doctor discovers exposure to healthy farm soil holds keys to healthy bodies.
Can Football Teach Boys Compassion Instead of Aggression? Two Videos Show Us It Can.
by Ariel CheslerDec 06, 2013
- Two videos making the rounds online show us what happens when boys embrace their vulnerability and support one another's emotional needs.
Infographic: Michael Pollan Says Home Cooking Might be the Single Best Way to Improve Your Health
by Doug PibelDec 05, 2013
- We spend less time in the kitchen than ever. But cooking could be an important solution to our public health crisis.
How The King of Portland's Deli Scene Cured His Diabetes Through Diet (and Kept the Pastrami)
by Ken GordonDec 04, 2013
- When this foodie chef was diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, he figured out how to get healthy without giving up his favorite foods.
How I Got My Husband to Take Care of His Body (Even Though He Just Wants to Take Care of Me)
by Shannon HayesNov 27, 2013
- If it takes being a "controlling wife" to make my husband value his own health over his love for his family, I'm going to do it.