How to Grow Oyster Mushrooms at Home (and Get Plenty of Flavor and Protein for Free)
by YES! editorsJan 02, 2015
- You don't need a garden to grow mushrooms—any cool, shady space will do, even a cupboard or dark corner.
Video: This Philly Beauty Salon and Rehab Clinic Helps People Heal—With a Little Magical Realism
by YES! EditorsDec 19, 2014
- A new documentary, "Hollywood Beauty Salon," lets people who struggle with mental illness and addiction tell their own stories in unexpected ways.
What I Learned About Living From Dying of Cancer
by Marcy WesterlingOct 23, 2014
- Many more patients are now living for years with the diagnosis of terminal illness. The author describes her journey to what she calls “livingly dying”—facing her death by living in the moment with grace and mindfulness.
How to Pickle Almost Anything
by Doug Pibel, Tracy Loeffelholz Dunn, Kali SwensonOct 15, 2014
- Why ferment? It’s practical magic. Here are a few basics to get you started.
Video: A Bear and Fox Show Why Empathy Brings Us Closer than Sympathy
Oct 03, 2014
- Empathy involves a deeper connection than sympathy does, and often means sharing a bit of emotional vulnerability.
The Neurochemistry Of Empathy, In Claymation
by RISD FAVAug 08, 2014
- Want to understand the science behind empathy? This quick video explains why and when we care.
Scared of Biking in Traffic? These Cities Are Making It Safe
by Jay WalljasperJul 10, 2014
- To get people on bikes in big numbers, cities are finding that it's essential to separate bike lanes from traffic.
Acupuncture, Yoga, and Massage: Not Just for Rich People
by Liz PleasantJun 06, 2014
- From Oakland to Brooklyn, practitioners of holistic health care are working to make their services affordable for all.
7 Ways to Garden Like You Know What You're Doing (Even If You're Just Getting Started)
by Terra WellingtonMay 15, 2014
- A few simple guidelines to follow when breaking out the trowel and gloves.
How Better Health Care for the Poor Makes a Stronger Economy for All
by Imara JonesApr 07, 2014
- By keeping workers healthy, the Affordable Care Act will help the working poor achieve greater financial stability—and will probably boost the economy as well.
5 Habits of Highly Compassionate Men
by Kozo HattoriApr 02, 2014
- Having compassion leads to increased happiness, freedom from gender stereotypes, and better relationships with others.
A Happy Life or a Meaningful One—Do We Really Need to Choose?
by Jill Suttie, Jason MarshMar 11, 2014
- Researchers continue to debate whether people face a genuine trade-off between seeking a happy life and a meaningful one.
My Year Without Porn: Some Surprising Lessons
by Dan MahleFeb 19, 2014
- Since I quit watching porn a year ago, I've become more present in the moment, more loving, and a better friend to the women in my life.
How Cooking Can Change Your Life
Jan 28, 2014
- In this powerful RSA Short, Michael Pollan shares some real talk about the difference between home cooked food and food made by corporations.
Fresh and Fly: Denver Rapper Teaches Kids to Be Gardeners Not Gangstas
by DJ CavemJan 28, 2014
- For Ietef "DJ Cavem" Vita, HIP HOP is not just a form of music, it's a way of life—one he's using to teach kids about cultivating the earth and eating fresh veggies.