Health & Healing
Healing a broken system.
Don’t Like Your Health Insurance? Make Your Own
by Nina Rogozenposted Mar 20, 2013
- The Affordable Care Act hopes to drive expansion of health care co-ops.
No More Steubenvilles: How To Raise Boys to be Kind Men
by Kim Simonposted Mar 18, 2013
- What can we do to help young men respect women, recognize consent, and have healthy sexual relationships? Teach them kindness to others—and the courage to go against the crowd.
Language and Metaphors for a New Cosmology
by Tim Foxposted Feb 01, 2013
7 Ways to Find Your Wild Side (Start With a Nap)
by Shannan Stoll, Fabien Tepper, Valerie Schloredtposted Jan 17, 2013
- Color like a butterfly, eat like an ancient healer, and other ways to rediscover your inner wildness.
Writing Love Letters to Hundreds of Strangers “Absolutely Healed Me”
posted Dec 18, 2012
- To cope with intense loneliness after moving to New York City, Hannah Brencher offered to write an old-fashioned love letter to any stranger who needed one. She never guessed how many people she would ultimately reach.
Your Body is a Body of Water
by Jourdan Keithposted Nov 14, 2012
- A storyteller asks what you'd do if you knew your body was part of the water web.
The Hazards of Manhood
by Michael Schwalbeposted Oct 30, 2012
- Am I tough enough? Am I powerful enough? Men put their bodies at risk to cover up pain, fear, and vulnerability.
Traditional Foods Help Remind Us Who We Are
by Kim Eckartposted Oct 30, 2012
- Tribes are pursuing a hands-on approach to finding and preparing Native foods that give spiritual sustenance, too.
Mitt Romney’s Health Care Plan Won’t Fix Our Budgets—Or Our Bodies
by Madeline Ostranderposted Oct 19, 2012
- According to Republican candidates Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, letting consumers make choices in the market will bring down health care costs. YES! Senior Editor Madeline Ostrander shows why that’s not the cure we’re after.
As Parents Learn More About Health, Will Doctors Listen?
by Shannon Hayesposted Oct 18, 2012
- Many doctors and nurses refuse to respect the knowledge of parents about their kids’ health. Shannon Hayes explains why they might be missing a lot.
6 Ways Communities Put Health First
by Stuart Glascockposted Oct 11, 2012
- From play space for kids to AIDS activism: the fight against disease goes grassroots.
Online Tools Help Doctors Listen Up
by Sarah Kuckposted Oct 11, 2012
- Does your doctor understand what you need? These simple tools are helping practitioners slow down and communicate better with patients.
Sharat Somashekara: Healthy Food For All
posted Oct 08, 2012
- When Sharat noticed that Americans without access to affordable, healthy food didn't eat as well as his family, he decided to do his part to change that.
Breastfeeding Moms Boot Nestlé from Maternity Wards
by Elizabeth Ben-Ishaiposted Oct 04, 2012
- If breastfeeding is healthier for babies, why are hospitals pushing corporate infant formula? How a growing number of states and cities are banning marketing in the maternity ward.
Speaking for All Bodies (Not Just the “Perfect” Ones)
by Sven Eberleinposted Oct 03, 2012
- In “Sins Invalid,” performance artists shatter stereotypes around sex and disabilities to reclaim the body's redemptive power.