Health & Healing
Healing a broken system.
Saying Goodbye: What Do We Teach Kids about Death?
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 31, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: When we shelter ourselves and our kids from the realities of death, what else might we be sacrificing?
The Teatime Series
by Betty Udesenposted Mar 30, 2011
- How backyard hummingbirds gave a healing photojournalist a new lens on life.
What to Pack for Disaster—And What to Leave Behind
by Rebecca Solnitposted Mar 30, 2011
- Rebecca Solnit: When disaster strikes, don't forget your compassion and critical thinking—but leave your panic, cliches, and stereotypes at the door.
Humane Meat? No Such Thing
by Sunaura Taylorposted Mar 27, 2011
- Should we eat animals? My disability gives me a unique view on the oxymoron "humane meat."
How Happy Was Your Meal?
by Madeline Ostranderposted Mar 27, 2011
- Autistic scientist Temple Grandin thinks like an animal—in pictures—and she's using it to get more humane treatment for cattle.
Our Animal Selves
by Linda Hoganposted Mar 09, 2011
- All around us are radiant species. What can the first peoples teach us about restoring our relationship with animals?
A Little Meditation Goes a Long Way
by Jason Marshposted Feb 25, 2011
- A new study offers the strongest evidence to date that meditation can change the structure of your brain.
A Better Approach to Health Care
by Margaret Flowers, MDposted Feb 08, 2011
- As the current health law comes under attack and our national deficit continues to grow, single-payer plans are gaining more and more interest.
Just the Facts: Should We Eat Animals?
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Feb 01, 2011
- We can feed the world and still eat meat—but only a little bit.
Farmer Joel Salatin: Why Changing the Food System is Up to You
posted Feb 01, 2011
- YES! interviewed foodie farmer Joel Salatin for Can Animals Save Us?, the Spring 2011 issue. Listen to audio clips here.
YES! But How? Nit Picking
by Tiffany Ranposted Dec 19, 2010
- Is there a natural way to treat head lice?
YES! But How? Flake Off
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Dec 19, 2010
- How do I get rid of dandruff without chemicals?
Returning Grandpa’s Love
by Kristy Leissleposted Dec 02, 2010
- A family economy that doesn't outsource care—at either end of life.
Hands-on Research: The Science of Touch
by Dacher Keltnerposted Nov 26, 2010
- How everyday forms of touch can bring us emotional balance and better health.
The Road to Real Health
by John de Graafposted Nov 22, 2010
- Health care's just part of the picture. Five policies that would be good for our health, happiness, and wallets.