On Facing Judgment
by Shannon HayesAug 17, 2010
- Live radically, and you’ll inevitably face the judgment of others. For Shannon Hayes, loving unconditionally is the antidote.
Can You Teach Emotional Intelligence?
by Katherine GustafsonJul 22, 2010
- The Secretary of Education isn't the only one who thinks so. Behind the growing movement for social and emotional learning.
The Wisdom of the Mulla
by Sheikh Jamal RahmanJul 16, 2010
- The well-loved trickster from Islamic folklore reminds us to trust, laugh, and be honest with ourselves.
Every Teacher a Peace Teacher
by David Jackson CookJun 29, 2010
- At the heart of new Peace Studies programs is the declaration that nonviolence, peace, and justice are not utopian dreams but real and practical ways in which humans can affect the world around them.
Update: Post-Prison Garden Project Grows Earth Stewards
by Berit AndersonJun 25, 2010
- Ten years ago YES! Magazine reported on Cathrine Sneed and her Garden Project. Today there are 37 Earth Stewards and seven full-time Garden Project employees.
by Andrée Collier ZaleskaMay 19, 2010
- As the price of college skyrockets, a new book looks to "edupunk" alternatives.
People We Love :: Carol Beckley
by Kim EckartApr 13, 2010
- Cultivating a rural community.
Freeing the Spirit of Change
by Rabbi Ted FalconApr 09, 2010
- Ethical behavior and loving generosity are at the core of faith—so why is the world hurting? Rabbi Ted Falcon on why paying attention to our interconnection is the first step toward healing.
A $67 Billion Victory for Students
by David BollierApr 01, 2010
- The student loan program was socializing risks and privatizing profits. New legislation will let students skip the corporate middlemen.
Brett Dennen on the Healing Power of Music
by Madeline OstranderMar 11, 2010
- Though he’s climbed to the top ten of the indie music charts and won accolades from Rolling Stone, 30-year-old musician Brett Dennen says his most important work to date has been with children at The Mosaic Project, a small outdoor school in the Napa Hills of California.
Ending the Trance, Answering the Call
by Rabbi Ted FalconMar 09, 2010
- Passover invites us to shake off the old stories of limitation, and create new ones of possibility and service.
Brett Dennen: My Most Important Songs
by Madeline OstranderMar 04, 2010
- A little-known album by pop star Brett Dennen is still changing lives at The Mosaic Project, teaching kids to stand up to intolerance.
Can Money Buy Education?
by Shannon HayesMar 02, 2010
- Radical homemaker Shannon Hayes taught her daughter that their family doesn't buy things they can make or grow at home. She then had to wonder: Does that include higher education?
The New Economy Challenge: Implications for Higher Education
by David KortenFeb 05, 2010
- If we are to build a sustainable economy and an Earth community, our educational goals and structures will have to change. David Korten asks what it will take to retool and reskill our society.
Smarter School Lunches
by Ellen MahoneyJan 12, 2010
- Healthy, local food for all kids? "Renegade Lunch Lady" Ann Cooper is starting a revolution in school cafeterias.