Tiny House Living: How Two Families Made It Work—Teenagers, Sleepovers, Alone Time, and All
by Liz PleasantDec 24, 2014
- How do you fit a full-sized family into a tiny house? The Morrisons and Kasls found that the benefits of life in 200 square feet outweigh the difficulties.
Book Review: After Landing Herself in ICU, This Woman Changed Her Lifestyle, and Built a Tiny House
by Abby QuillenDec 24, 2014
- In building her tiny house, the author built a simpler and happier life.
“Wild” Could Have Been a Standard Hollywood Weeper. Here’s How Reese Witherspoon Saved It
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 19, 2014
- To call “Wild” a redemption film is to minimize the wide range of emotions it works with—not to mention the subtlety of Reese Witherspoon’s performance.
7 Ways to Get Happy—Without Costing the Planet
by Sarah van GelderNov 14, 2014
- The starting point is to realize we have choices—like meaningful work, authentic relationships, and gratitude.
An Introvert Cooks Dinner for 80—and Learns Something About Community
by Shannon HayesNov 13, 2014
- I love my solitude. I also love my community. But my independent nature has never been unusual in this town.
Bikes! Co-Ops! Voyages of Self-Discovery! This Project Brings Together Everything You Love
Nov 06, 2014
- In the summers of 2012 and 2013, a group of college students and recent grads bicycled across America, visiting cooperative businesses and re-imagining the country they were about to inherit.
How to Pickle Almost Anything
by Doug Pibel, Tracy Loeffelholz Dunn, Kali SwensonOct 15, 2014
- Why ferment? It’s practical magic. Here are a few basics to get you started.
Why I’m Staying In My Hometown (Even Though Everybody Knows What I Was Like as a Kid)
Oct 07, 2014
- Brought on by the sound of a screaming child, I reflect on my past, my community, and how we can become our true selves without fleeing our roots.
Remembering Stephen Gaskin: A Conversation with the Man Behind the Original Off-the-Grid Farm
by Erin McCarleyJul 31, 2014
- Gaskin had a talent for thinking through ways to combine simple living with social engagement. He died on July 1, 2014.
Too Many Political T-Shirts? 6 Ways to Repurpose Them
by Christine St. Pierre, Kali SwensonJul 22, 2014
- The messages may be eternal, but T-shirts aren't forever. These DIY projects can give them new life.
How the Family Farm Stole My Sense of Self—For the Better
by Shannon HayesJun 04, 2014
A Lesson in Tranquility ... From a Porcupine
by Shannon HayesMay 28, 2014
- A midnight run-in with a spiny interloper forced me to re-evaluate my priorities.
Will My Daughter Grow Up to Be a Farmer Like Me?
by Shannon HayesMay 12, 2014
- I made the choice to give up a career in law and return to my family farm. Now, I wait to see if my daughter will do the same.
10 Things Creative People Know
by Peggy Taylor, Charlie MurphyApr 11, 2014
- Everyday creative activities like knitting and cooking can boost your levels of serotonin and decrease anxiety.
This Couple's Marriage Healed the Planet and Cost Just $3K—Here's How They Did It
by Linnea M. PatonFeb 13, 2014
- Four ways to have an equitable, earth-loving, and awesome wedding.