“You Fly to the Edge of the Tar Sands, and ... No Life”: A Montana Professor on the Issue of Our Time
by Sarah van GelderAug 28, 2015
- University of Montana professor George Price on permaculture, race, and how he’s standing up to tar sands extraction.
10 Things I Swore I’d Never Do As A Parent—And What I Learned From Doing Them Anyway
by Shannon HayesJun 19, 2015
- When it was my turn to raise kids, I was certain I’d get it all right. But parenting doesn’t happen by the book.
Tiny Houses in Paradise! 20 Incredible Vacation Rentals on Airbnb
by Cat JohnsonMay 06, 2015
- From caves in Spain to treehouses in Cape Town, check out Airbnb's best tiny house destinations.
Big City Living May Help You Slow Down, Stress Less, and Be Happy. Really!
by Zanna McKayApr 17, 2015
- From New York City to Barcelona, cities across the world are turning to “slow living” to make their communities happier and healthier in the face of increasing urbanization.
How I Learned to Ask For Handouts (No Matter How Weird It Feels)
by Shannon HayesApr 14, 2015
- Farming and writing don't bring home the bacon—why I'm no longer ashamed to ask my community to help.
When It’s Time to Hand the Farm to the Next Generation, the Simple Life Is Anything But
by Shannon HayesApr 08, 2015
- This year’s muddy spring presents my family with the chance to pull together more closely than ever.
Tiny House Living: How Two Families Made It Work—Teenagers, Sleepovers, Alone Time, and All
by Liz PleasantDec 24, 2014
- How do you fit a full-sized family into a tiny house? The Morrisons and Kasls found that the benefits of life in 200 square feet outweigh the difficulties.
Book Review: After Landing Herself in ICU, This Woman Changed Her Lifestyle, and Built a Tiny House
by Abby QuillenDec 24, 2014
- In building her tiny house, the author built a simpler and happier life.
“Wild” Could Have Been a Standard Hollywood Weeper. Here’s How Reese Witherspoon Saved It
by Christopher Zumski FinkeDec 19, 2014
- To call “Wild” a redemption film is to minimize the wide range of emotions it works with—not to mention the subtlety of Reese Witherspoon’s performance.
7 Ways to Get Happy—Without Costing the Planet
by Sarah van GelderNov 14, 2014
- The starting point is to realize we have choices—like meaningful work, authentic relationships, and gratitude.
An Introvert Cooks Dinner for 80—and Learns Something About Community
by Shannon HayesNov 13, 2014
- I love my solitude. I also love my community. But my independent nature has never been unusual in this town.
Bikes! Co-Ops! Voyages of Self-Discovery! This Project Brings Together Everything You Love
Nov 06, 2014
- In the summers of 2012 and 2013, a group of college students and recent grads bicycled across America, visiting cooperative businesses and re-imagining the country they were about to inherit.
How to Pickle Almost Anything
by Doug Pibel, Tracy Loeffelholz Dunn, Kali SwensonOct 15, 2014
- Why ferment? It’s practical magic. Here are a few basics to get you started.
Why I’m Staying In My Hometown (Even Though Everybody Knows What I Was Like as a Kid)
Oct 07, 2014
- Brought on by the sound of a screaming child, I reflect on my past, my community, and how we can become our true selves without fleeing our roots.
Remembering Stephen Gaskin: A Conversation with the Man Behind the Original Off-the-Grid Farm
by Erin McCarleyJul 31, 2014
- Gaskin had a talent for thinking through ways to combine simple living with social engagement. He died on July 1, 2014.