Bikes! Co-Ops! Voyages of Self-Discovery! This Project Brings Together Everything You Love
Nov 06, 2014
- A group of college students and recent grads bicycled across America, visiting cooperative businesses and re-imagining the country they were about to inherit.
How to Pickle Almost Anything
by Doug Pibel, Tracy Loeffelholz Dunn, Kali SwensonOct 15, 2014
- Why ferment? It’s practical magic. Here are a few basics to get you started.
Why I’m Staying In My Hometown (Even Though Everybody Knows What I Was Like as a Kid)
Oct 07, 2014
- Brought on by the sound of a screaming child, I reflect on my past, my community, and how we can become our true selves without fleeing our roots.
Remembering Stephen Gaskin: A Conversation with the Man Behind the Original Off-the-Grid Farm
by Erin McCarleyJul 31, 2014
- Gaskin had a talent for thinking through ways to combine simple living with social engagement. He died on July 1, 2014.
Too Many Political T-Shirts? 6 Ways to Repurpose Them
by Christine St. Pierre, Kali SwensonJul 22, 2014
- The messages may be eternal, but T-shirts aren't forever. These DIY projects can give them new life.
How the Family Farm Stole My Sense of Self—For the Better
by Shannon HayesJun 04, 2014
A Lesson in Tranquility ... From a Porcupine
by Shannon HayesMay 28, 2014
- A midnight run-in with a spiny interloper forced me to re-evaluate my priorities.
Will My Daughter Grow Up to Be a Farmer Like Me?
by Shannon HayesMay 12, 2014
- I made the choice to give up a career in law and return to my family farm. Now, I wait to see if my daughter will do the same.
10 Things Creative People Know
by Peggy Taylor, Charlie MurphyApr 11, 2014
- Everyday creative activities like knitting and cooking can boost your levels of serotonin and decrease anxiety.
This Couple's Marriage Healed the Planet and Cost Just $3K—Here's How They Did It
by Linnea M. PatonFeb 13, 2014
- Four ways to have an equitable, earth-loving, and awesome wedding.
How a Library with No Books Could Change the Way We Read (And Bring Us Closer Together)
by Roman KrznaricJan 31, 2014
- The Empathy Library is a new digital archive where people can point to the books, movies, and other media that help us learn to understand one another.
How Cooking Can Change Your Life
Jan 28, 2014
- In this powerful RSA Short, Michael Pollan shares some real talk about the difference between home cooked food and food made by corporations.
Sitting Is the New Smoking: Why Walking Is the “Secret Sauce” for Better Health and Happier Communities
by Jay WalljasperJan 06, 2014
- Whether you live in the ‘burbs, the city, or the middle of nowhere, the "wonder drug" of walking is just what the doctor ordered.
What I Learned from a Month on the Ten-Mile Diet
Jan 03, 2014
- "It was a different kind of diet. I didn't count calories. I didn't count carbs. I just took 12,500 miles of food off my plate."
The Ancient Greeks’ 6 Words for Love (And Why Knowing Them Can Change Your Life)
by Roman KrznaricDec 27, 2013
- Looking for an antidote to modern culture’s emphasis on romantic love? Perhaps we can learn from the diverse forms of emotional attachment prized by the ancient Greeks.