How to Design Our Neighborhoods for Happiness
by Jay WalljasperJul 26, 2013
- When we share our yards, sidewalks, and other common spaces, we find a greater sense of belonging and connection to those around us.
How to See Stars Like Your Ancestors Did
by Katrina Rabeler, Chris FrancisJul 12, 2013
- We could all see the sky as our ancestors once saw it just by turning off the lights, according to the International Dark Sky Association.
3 Global Cities That Are Doing Bike Shares Right (And One’s in Texas!)
by Kristin HugoJun 04, 2013
- From China to San Antonio, cities are using rental bike programs to create healthier commutes. Here are a few insights from some of the world’s best programs.
Why Sticky Cabinets Have a Place on My Dream Farm
by Shannon HayesMay 29, 2013
- When we visualize the lives we desire, we often leave out the difficulties and frustrations. But they’re inevitable, and in the end they make the rewards of life more satisfying.
“Modified Social Benches”: An Experiment in Outdoor Socializing
by Cat JohnsonMay 13, 2013
- An installation of creatively shaped benches in Belgium pushes the edge of urban sit-ability.
Vermont Time Bankers Build a More Personal Economy
Apr 26, 2013
- Video: Whatever service you might need, you’re likely to be able to get it at Onion River Time Bank, where you pay by doing what you love.
Finding the Simple Life at Sea—On a Shoestring
by Peter PearsallApr 17, 2013
- Think an island-hopping cruise across the Pacific is only for the elite? Not if you take the slow boat.
A Portlandia Sendup of Tiny House Living
by YES! online staffApr 11, 2013
- Portlandia’s Kumail Nanjiani visits a tiny house and asks some of the questions on everybody’s mind.
Why Lent Makes People Happy (and Netflix Doesn't)
by Jason Marsh, Rob WillerMar 27, 2013
- Many of us believe getting more of the things we value will make us happier, but new research suggests that cutting back on life’s pleasures helps us enjoy them significantly more.
Sustainable Happiness? 6 Ways to Get There
by Catherine O'Brien, Ian MurrayMar 20, 2013
- Discover natural highs, map your interdependence, and other ways to discover joy within your reach.
Shooting Stars and Living Spirit
by Roberto VargasFeb 01, 2013
Six Ways to Stay Warm without Central Heating
by Malcolm HarrisJan 07, 2013
- Whether you’re looking for ways to save a few bucks or to be kinder to the environment, these are some fun tips to fight the cold.
5 Holiday Parlor Games to Make Your Gatherings More Fun
by Laura Beans, Fabien TepperDec 19, 2012
- Spoons, sardines, telephone charades, and other activities to put a boost in your get-togethers.
How I Survived Breaking Up with My Car
by Erin L. McCoyDec 14, 2012
- Erin McCoy tells the story of how she gave up driving, despite her love for cars, and examines the challenges facing drivers who don't live in cities.
3 Lessons for Gracious Living in a Stuff-Filled Season
by Fran KortenDec 13, 2012
- Last year, YES! publisher Fran Korten shared her efforts to move more stuff out of her house than into it. With the season of “stuff” upon us again, here’s what she’s learned about unstuffing her life.