Think Small: A New Housing Model
by Doug PibelJul 24, 2012
- Why go back to the way things were when we can create housing that embraces the best of tradition and the best of new thinking?
How I Found Bliss in a Creaky Old Rental
by Corbyn HightowerJun 26, 2012
- Corbyn Hightower and her family moved from affluence to poverty—and into a "funky, junky" house that's been the happiest move of their lives.
We’ve Got Some Big Houses—That We Could Share
by Doug PibelMay 24, 2012
- Just 60 years ago, the average American had 291 square feet of living space. Now it’s close to 1,000 square feet. Have we changed our needs that much? Or just our wants?
Real Homes: Small, Frugal, and Green
by Doug PibelMay 23, 2012
- With 5 million houses in foreclosure, we are rediscovering that living sustainably includes living affordably.
The Perks of Being Gainfully Unemployed
by Shannon HayesMay 18, 2012
- Is job security real security? Shannon Hayes makes the case for diversifying your income.
How I Found Happiness (in 130 Square Feet)
by Ella JenkinsMay 10, 2012
- Photo Essay: Don’t think you know how to build your own house? Neither did 23-year-old Ella Jenkins before she picked up the tools and started.
6 Tips for Green Pet Care
by Jennifer Kaye, Lindsay KuceraApr 23, 2012
- Sustainable, low-cost, and natural ways to care for your critters.
Radical Homemaking … In the South of France?
by Shannon HayesApr 18, 2012
- Shannon Hayes: Do radical homemaking and foreign travel mix?
A DIY Civilization
by Colleen ShaddoxMar 26, 2012
- Can we create the machines of modern life sustainably, cheaply, and close to home?
Don't Be Stupid, Cupid: How to Show Your Love Responsibly
by Annie LeonardFeb 13, 2012
- Annie Leonard: What classic Valentine's gifts are linked to exploitation—and what can you do about it?
Reclaiming Christmas, Radical Homemaker Style
by Shannon HayesDec 21, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: Can you take on consumerism without being a Scrooge?
Blizzards Got You Feeling Down? Try These 6 Recipes for Winter Wellness
by Jennifer Kaye, Kate MalongowskiDec 20, 2011
- From rose hip syrup to "fire cider," natural remedies can help you fight seasonal maladies.
In China, Bike-Sharing on a Big Scale
by Jennifer KayeDec 20, 2011
- Hangzhou, China: 7 million people. 50,000 public bikes. 240,000 trips a day. The largest public cycling system on Earth.
Dutch School Bus is a Bicycle Built for Ten
by Kate MalongowskiDec 20, 2011
- An eco-friendly bicycle bus harnesses the pedal power of kids.
Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin: Doing the Impossible
by Sarah van GelderNov 02, 2011
- The two-time Pulitzer Prize winner accepted an appointment as U.S. poet laureate so he could offer just one simple warning.