Freedom from cluttered lives and minds.
Bike As You Are
by Valerie Schloredtposted Sep 09, 2010
- Whether it's in lycra or heels, the emerging movement of "come as you are" cycling proves that anyone can bike–anytime, anywhere.
Resilient Ideas: Low-Impact Urban Living
by Sven Eberleinposted Sep 09, 2010
- The challenges of creating urban ecovillages can also be great advantages.
Movies, My Kids, and Me
by Shannon Hayesposted Sep 08, 2010
- Shannon Hayes used movies to give her daughters—and herself—an occasional break. Then they began to take over.
On Facing Judgment
by Shannon Hayesposted Aug 17, 2010
- Live radically, and you’ll inevitably face the judgment of others. For Shannon Hayes, loving unconditionally is the antidote.
How Resilient Are You?
posted Aug 13, 2010
- Take this test to find out.
Score and Swap, For Free!
posted Aug 13, 2010
- Wish there was a store where everything was free? New York's latest pop-up swap, Score!, has the answer.
8 Ways to Keep Your Cool Without Air Conditioning
by Stan Coxposted Aug 12, 2010
- 8 tips to help you beat the summer heat.
My Tiny, Free House
by Michael Janzenposted Aug 10, 2010
- Michael Janzen had a big house and a big mortgage. Then the financial crisis hit, and he wondered just how small, and how cheap, a house could be.
Leaving It Up To Them
by Shannon Hayesposted Jul 28, 2010
- What happens when children raised in radical homes choose the straight and narrow?
One Day Each Week Without Laptop, Phone, or TV? How a "Tech Sabbath" Can Heal Your Mind
by Erika Kosinaposted Jul 12, 2010
- A day of rest, it turns out, is still a good idea.
Live Dangerously: 10 Easy Steps
by Shannon Hayesposted Jun 28, 2010
- When Shannon Hayes made a list of easy steps for becoming a radical homemaker, she didn't realize just how revolutionary they were.
Step Away From the Plastic Bag
by Kim Eckartposted Jun 25, 2010
- Our associate editor experiments with life after plastic bags.
Solstice in a Finnish Village
posted Jun 21, 2010
- Bonfires, birch branches, and saunas. And a chance to discover who will be your true love.
The Birthday Balloon
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 11, 2010
- Somewhere in our consumer culture, we have confused material items with expressions of love.
Can Money Buy Education?
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 02, 2010
- Radical homemaker Shannon Hayes taught her daughter that their family doesn't buy things they can make or grow at home. She then had to wonder: Does that include higher education?