Fight Climate Change: Live the Good Life
by Colin BeavanDec 01, 2009
- Low-carbon living isn’t a sacrifice. Colin Beavan says it’s the good life.
I Give Thanks
Nov 25, 2009
- An original song by Kathryn Mostow, inspired by Margaret Mead's famous quote, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Nov 11, 2009
- Susan Hardman photographs Costa Rica, which topped the 2009 Happy Planet Index. The Index takes into consideration factors such as a country's ecological footprint and life expectancies.
Elizabeth Gilbert on the Genius in Us All
Sep 22, 2009
- Elizabeth Gilbert discusses our impossible expectations of artists and geniuses suggesting that maybe there is a little genius in us all. It's a funny, personal, and surprisingly moving talk.
The Economics of Happiness
by Saamah AbdallahSep 21, 2009
- In France, a ground-breaking commission of leading economists suggests that nations look beyond GDP.
Melia Reschools Herself
by Lynsi BurtonSep 09, 2009
- For her one-woman project, Reschool Yourself, Melia Dicker revisited her childhood classrooms, shadowing students and interviewing teachers to figure out how school had defined her adulthood.
Parker Palmer: Know Yourself, Change Your World
by Sarah van GelderSep 09, 2009
- An interview with Parker J. Palmer
Roadtrip Nation Takes the Route Less Traveled
by Madeline OstranderSep 09, 2009
- Roadtrip Nation, a personal journey turned film, then TV series, and now a youth movement, sends groups of young people out on the road every year to find out how people choose careers they’re passionate about.
No Vacation Nation
by John de GraafSep 04, 2009
- Along with paid vacation, we're missing out on happiness, better health, and a more sustainable society.
Interview with “No Impact Man” Colin Beavan
by Colin Beavan, Amy GoodmanDec 29, 2008
- Amy Goodman talks with Colin Beavan on Democracy Now. “And finally, on this Christmas Eve, I’m joined by a man who makes a compelling environmental case for a non-consumptive Christmas. Colin Beavan is also known as the No Impact Man. Beavan, along with his wife, their two-year-old daughter and dog, spent a year attempting to minimize their ecological footprint while continuing to live in the heart of New York City.”
Walking Through Fear :: Interview
by Frances Moore LappeNov 05, 2008
- Frances Moore Lappé’s book Diet for a Small Planet had sold 3 million copies. She co-founded organizations to fight hunger and bolster democracy. Along with her daughter, Anna, she traveled the world to gather stories for Hope’s Edge. Yet, like many of us, she experienced a time when her world crumbled…
Nov 04, 2008
- East meets West in the Deep South. An overcrowded maximum-security prison—the end of the line in Alabama's correctional system—is dramatically changed by the influence of an ancient meditation program.
by Dee WilliamsNov 04, 2008
- Positive change begins at home. So when Dee Williams decided to change her life, thats where she started. In fact, she redefined what "home" meant, right down to what it was, and where it could go.
How Thankful Are You?
by Stephen Post, Mike McCulloughOct 31, 2008
- The more grateful you are, the happier. Want to know your gratitude score? Take the test.
This is Your Brain on Bliss
by Matthieu RicardOct 31, 2008
- After 2,000 years of practice, Buddhist monksknow that one secret to happiness is simply to put your mind to it.