The Good Life
Finding fulfillment in the things that matter.
Finding the Simple Life at Sea—On a Shoestring
by Peter Pearsallposted Apr 17, 2013
- Think an island-hopping cruise across the Pacific is only for the elite? Not if you take the slow boat.
Sustainable Happiness? 6 Ways to Get There
by Catherine O'Brien, Ian Murrayposted Mar 20, 2013
- Discover natural highs, map your interdependence, and other ways to discover joy within your reach.
Don’t Laugh: The UN’s First International Happiness Day is Serious Business
by Frances Moore Lappéposted Mar 20, 2013
- Frances Moore Lappé on how countries and cities around the world, from Bhutan to Boston, are measuring well-being beyond GDP.
What Our Kids Can Teach Us About Trying Over
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 15, 2013
- Children’s future happiness is not tied to how well they behave or whether they will be able to hold a job. It is tied to their ability to create with their minds and their hands.
4 Lessons for Growing a Family Farm Across Generations
by Shannon Hayesposted Feb 01, 2013
- Breaking our families into nuclear units has an ecological and emotional cost. Could the multigenerational farm remind us where to turn for a viable future?
Bringing (Human) Diversity to America’s National Parks
by YES! Online Staffposted Jan 28, 2013
- Video: Take a journey to Yosemite National Park with the Amazing Grace 50+ Club, a Los Angeles-based church group that strives to bring more people of color to our national parks.
7 Ways to Find Your Wild Side (Start With a Nap)
by Shannan Stoll, Fabien Tepper, Valerie Schloredtposted Jan 17, 2013
- Color like a butterfly, eat like an ancient healer, and other ways to rediscover your inner wildness.
Meet the Youngest Member of the Tiny House Movement
posted Jan 11, 2013
- This 16-year-old is building himself a future free from mortgage payments, not to mention college accommodations that are a bit homier than your average dorm room.
by Paul Van Slambroukposted Jan 04, 2013
- What’s better than turning a profit by selling your work? Filmmakers, cafe owners, and even corporations like Panera Bread point to the satisfaction that comes with giving it away.
10 Things Science Taught Us About Happiness in 2012
by Jason Marsh, Lauren Klein, Jeremy Adam Smithposted Jan 04, 2013
- Last year’s most surprising, provocative, and inspiring findings on the science of living a meaningful life.
Want to Find Holiday Joy? Start by Lowering Expectations
by Christine Carterposted Dec 26, 2012
- Video: Christine Carter offers three tips to avoid holiday stress and experience the joys of the season.
The Gift of Remembering Those We’ve Lost
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 17, 2012
- All of us lose loved ones over the course of our lives, and the pain of those losses is especially sharp during the holiday season. Passing on their memories to younger generations is a gift that truly lasts.
Is Time With Family Better Than Shopping?
posted Nov 21, 2012
- Video: This Black Friday, celebrate your favorite non-shopping activity with this invitation from The Story of Stuff Project.
I Am Grateful That Thorns Have Roses: 11 Reasons to Remember Thankfulness
posted Nov 20, 2012
- Studies show that gratitude has an inverse correlation with depression—the more grateful you are, the happier you are. Eleven thinkers, throughout the ages, on why being thankful matters.
Feeling Short on Time? Try Something Awe-Inspiring
by Stacey Kennellyposted Oct 25, 2012
- A study suggests that the same experiences that make us notice the vastness of the universe also make us feel there’s more time in the day.