The Good Life
Finding fulfillment in the things that matter.
7 Ways to Find Your Wild Side (Start With a Nap)
by Shannan Stoll, Fabien Tepper, Valerie Schloredtposted Jan 17, 2013
- Color like a butterfly, eat like an ancient healer, and other ways to rediscover your inner wildness.
Meet the Youngest Member of the Tiny House Movement
posted Jan 11, 2013
- This 16-year-old is building himself a future free from mortgage payments, not to mention college accommodations that are a bit homier than your average dorm room.
by Paul Van Slambroukposted Jan 04, 2013
- What’s better than turning a profit by selling your work? Filmmakers, cafe owners, and even corporations like Panera Bread point to the satisfaction that comes with giving it away.
10 Things Science Taught Us About Happiness in 2012
by Jason Marsh, Lauren Klein, Jeremy Adam Smithposted Jan 04, 2013
- Last year’s most surprising, provocative, and inspiring findings on the science of living a meaningful life.
Want to Find Holiday Joy? Start by Lowering Expectations
by Christine Carterposted Dec 26, 2012
- Video: Christine Carter offers three tips to avoid holiday stress and experience the joys of the season.
The Gift of Remembering Those We’ve Lost
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 17, 2012
- All of us lose loved ones over the course of our lives, and the pain of those losses is especially sharp during the holiday season. Passing on their memories to younger generations is a gift that truly lasts.
Is Time With Family Better Than Shopping?
posted Nov 21, 2012
- Video: This Black Friday, celebrate your favorite non-shopping activity with this invitation from The Story of Stuff Project.
I Am Grateful That Thorns Have Roses: 11 Reasons to Remember Thankfulness
posted Nov 20, 2012
- Studies show that gratitude has an inverse correlation with depression—the more grateful you are, the happier you are. Eleven thinkers, throughout the ages, on why being thankful matters.
Feeling Short on Time? Try Something Awe-Inspiring
by Stacey Kennellyposted Oct 25, 2012
- A study suggests that the same experiences that make us notice the vastness of the universe also make us feel there’s more time in the day.
9 Simple Steps to Improve Your Health (Without Joining a Gym)
by Sven Eberleinposted Sep 20, 2012
- Laughter, the arts, touch, sleep. What you can do in your everyday life to get healthier.
Breaking Through Concrete: An Urban Farm Roadtrip
by David Hanson, Edwin Marty, Michael Hansonposted Aug 17, 2012
- Farmers across the country are taking to rooftops, vacant lots, any space they can find to build an urban farm revival.
Happiness Comes From Respect, Not Riches
by Stacey Kennellyposted Aug 03, 2012
- A series of studies shows that wealth doesn’t make us happier—but the respect of others does.
What We Learned From Swimming With Leeches
by Shannon Hayesposted Jul 25, 2012
- The appearance of “bloodsucking parasites” in one farm family’s pond got them thinking: How could we be so comfortable with our natural world, yet paranoid about harmless—and helpful—creatures in it?
One More Benefit of Local Food
by Shannon Hayesposted Jun 28, 2012
- A farmer sings the praises of having non-farmers close at hand.
How to Build a Bike Train
by Maya Jacobsposted Jun 21, 2012
- Forty years ago, almost half of American kids biked to school. A smart idea for getting kids pedaling again.