Amount of its roads budget that Copenhagen devotes to services and infrastructure for cyclists: 1/3 
Amount of money that a community gains for every mile biked instead of driven: 50 cents 
Benefit to Norwegian society for each physically inactive citizen who chooses to bike or walk to work: $4,500 - $5,900 
Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on defense: 8,555
Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on health care: 10,779
Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on education: 17,687
Number of jobs created by spending $1 billion on mass transit: 19,795 
Percentage of American high-schoolers who report extreme daytime sleepiness: 59
Percentage of high school seniors that average at least eight hours of sleep a night: 5 
Percentage of people in the U.S. who said they were satisfied with the state of their nation in 2002: 41
Percentage of people in the U.S. who said they were satisfied with the state of their nation in 2007: 25
Percentage of people in Latin America who said they were satisfied with the state of their nation in 2002: 7
Percentage of people in Latin America who said they were satisfied with the state of their nation in 2007: 34 
Distance from which a blue whale’s heartbeat can be detected: 2 miles
Number of pounds a blue whale calf can gain in an hour: 8 
Percentage of major media stories about the 2008 presidential elections that focused on political, financial, and tactical aspects of the campaign: 63
Percentage that focused on the personal backgrounds of candidates: 17
Percentage that focused on the ideas and policy proposals of candidates: 15
Percentage that focused on records and past public performance of candidates: 1 
Pounds of carrots an average American consumed annually in 1985, the year before the invention of the peeled “baby carrot”: 9.63
Per capita carrot consumption, in pounds, at its peak in 1998: 18.16 
Amount by which U.S. rice production was subsidized in 2003: $1,279,000,000
Percentage below production costs at which U.S. rice was exported to Honduras in 2003: 40
Percentage by which U.S. rice prices in Central America will further drop under CAFTA quotas: 20
Percentage of Honduran rice farmers who have lost their jobs due to U.S. rice dumping: 92 
More Page That Counts
Percentage of studies reporting favorable results for a medication if they are funded by the drug’s producers: 80 Percentage reporting favorable results if conducted with no industry support: 50
Percentage of Iranians who favor normal relations and trade with the United
Percentage of Iranians who strongly support a
democratic system: 79
- “Livable Copenhagen: The Design of a Bicycle City,” Alyse Nelson, Center for Public Space Research, Copenhagen, 2007.
This is a 7mb pdf file and will take a while to load depending on your internet connection.
- “Quantifying the Benefits of Non-Motorized Transportation for Achieving Mobility Management Objectives,” Todd Litman, Victoria Transport Policy Institute, November 30, 2004.
- “Walking- and cycling track networks in Norwegian cities: Cost-benefit analyses including health effects and external costs of road traffic,” Kjartan Sælensminde, Instituute of Transport Economics, 2002.
- “The U.S. Employment Effects of Military and Domestic Spending Priorities,” Robert Pollin and Heidi Garrett-Peltier, Dept of Economics and Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, October 2007.
- “2006 Sleep in America Poll Summary of Findings,” National Sleep Foundation, 2006.
- “Endangered Species: Blue Whale,” World Wildlife Fund.
- “A Rising Tide Lifts Mood in the Developing World,” Pew Global Attitudes Project, July 24, 2007.
- “The Invisible Primary—Invisible No Longer,” Project for Excellence in Journalism, Joan Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy, October 29, 2007.
- “Factors Affecting Carrot Consumption in the United States,” Gary Lucier and Biing-Hwan Lin, USDA, March 2007.
- “A Raw Deal for Rice under DR-CAFTA,” Oxfam International, November 16 2004.