The Page That Counts :: Spring 2009
Number of escalators in the United States: 30,000 
Number of homes the energy from 30,000 escalators can power: 375,000 
Calories burned by a 150-pound person walking up a flight of stairs: approximately 93 
Tons of tuna Japan imports annually: 800,000
Price in U.S. dollars of a 2 oz. piece of bluefin tuna in a Tokyo sushi restaurant: 75
Percentage decrease in North Atlantic breeding populations of bluefin tuna since the 1970s: 90 
Average number of monthly cell phone calls made by U.S. wireless subscribers age 13-17: 231
Average number of monthly text messages: 1,7425 
Percentage of teenagers who say their social life would end or suffer without text messaging: 47
Percentage of teenagers who can text blindfolded: 42 
Number of art pieces on view on the fourth and fifth floors of the Museum of Modern Art in Fall 2004: 415
Number of pieces by women artists: 20
Works of art on view in Fall 2007: 400
Number of pieces by women artists: 14 
Percentage of works on display at the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2004 by female artists: 4
Percentage of nudes on display that depicted women: 83 
Time per day one can listen to music with stock iPod earphones at 60 percent volume without hearing damage: 18 hours
At 80 percent volume: 1.2 hours
At 100 percent volume: 5 minutes 
Number of pirate attacks worldwide in the first quarter of 2008: 53
Number of pirate attacks in the second quarter of 2008: 63
Number of pirate attacks in the third quarter of 2008: 83 
Number of species of moss that can be found on one tree: over 70 
Number of different species of trees in the world: over 23,000
Number of people who travel to Macon, Georgia to see the cherry trees in bloom: over 600,000
Average time in minutes it takes to walk around the crown of a giant banyan tree in Calcutta at a normal walking pace: 10 
Number of competitors at the 2008 International Tree Climbing Championship: 50 
More Page That Counts
Original tree-planting goal of the UNEP's Billion Tree Campaign: 1 billion
The number of trees planted within the campaign's first 18 months: 2 billion
Decrease in miles Americans drove in May 2008 compared to May 2007: 9.6 billion
- “Elevator Escalator Safety Foundation Brochure,”Elevator Escalator Saftey Foundation
- “Taken for a Ride: The insanity of escalators,” Jeffrey Hill, Next American City, Summer 2008.
- “Tuna: A Love Story,” Richard Ellis, Knopf, July 15, 2008.
- “Texting Now More Popular than Calling,” Nielsen Mobile, September 22, 2008.
- “National Study Reveals How Teens Are Shaping & Reshaping Their Wireless World,” Harris Interactive Poll, September 12, 2008.
- “Where are all the women?: On MoMA’s identity politics,” Jerry Saltz, New York Magazine, November 17, 2007.
- Guerilla Girls, 2004
- “Sound Output Levels of the iPod and Other MP3 Players: Is There Potential Risk to Hearing?”Cory D.F. Portnuff & Brian J. Fligor, Sc.D., National Hearing Conservation Association, October 19, 2006.
- “Unprecedented rise in piratical attacks,” International Maritime Bureau Piracy Reporting Center, October 24, 2008.
- "Behind the Scenes: Tree-Climbing Scientist Makes Surprising Discovery.", Nalini M. Nadkarni, The Evergreen State College, 7 August 2007.
- “Tree Facts,” Trees of Strength Project, NC State University.
- “Arborist News,” October 2008.
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.