Cost of the 300-mile border wall: $900 million (1)
Total U.S. Agency for International Development budget for aid to Mexico for education, democracy, micro-finance, the environment, and capacity building for FY 2006: $31 million (2)
Square miles of Borneo’s rainforest inhabited by the endangered orangutan saved from clear-cutting by an international grassroots e-mail campaign by the nonprofit group Ecological Internet: 6,300 (3)
Percentage of university faculty classified as adjuncts, or part-time teachers, in 1970: 22 (4)
Percentage in 2005: 44
Percentage who receive health benefits or contributions to retirement: less than 20 (5)
Percentage of consumers polled who say they would pay more for books or magazines printed on recycled paper: 80 (6)
Percentage increase nationwide of dependence on the food stamp program in the last decade: 8
Percentage increase in counties with Wal-Mart stores: 15.3 (7)
Number of bras strung together by activists in Cyprus, Greece, to raise awareness of breast cancer: 114,000 (8)
Percentage of adults who support condom use to prevent HIV and other sexually transmitted infections: 92
Percentage of Catholics who support: 93 (9)
Fine an elderly woman in California received for crossing the street too slowly: $114 (10)
Number of daily postings in the entire “blogosphere”: 1.2 million
Number of daily postings on MySpace, a networking site popular with 16 to 34-year-olds: 1.4 million (11)
Estimated number of people who die in the U.S. each year due to a lack of health insurance: 18,000
Number of people who died on 9/11: 2,819 (12)
Barrels of oil the U.S. consumes per day: 20 million
Barrels of oil the U.S. would have saved in 2006 alone if, starting in 2001, the government had implemented plans to raise fuel economy standards to 40 mpg by 2012: 500,000
Amount consumers would save at the gas pump this year: $8.7 billion
Tons by which carbon dioxide emissions would be reduced: 34 million (13)
More Page That Counts
Percentage of Iranians who favor normal relations and trade with the United
Percentage of Iranians who strongly support a
democratic system: 79
Miles per gallon a car got in a 1973 contest sponsored by Shell: 376.59
- Suzanne Gamboa, The Associated Press, Bush Requests $1.9 B to Bolster Borders. May 18, 2006.
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Budget Summary Mexico Program. 2006.
- Ecological Internet, Inc., May 15, 2006
- Eric L. Wee, The Washington Post, Professor of Desperation. July 21, 2002.
- The American Federation of Teachers, Press Release: AFT's College Adjunct Faculty Members Stage Protests Seeking Fair Pay and Fair Play Across the Country, October 31, 2005.
- Co-Op America, Press Release: Survey Finds Consumers Will Spend More for Publications Printed on Recycled Paper, December 1, 2005
- Dr. Stephan J. Goetz and Hema Swaminathan, Study: Wal-Mart and County-Wide Poverty. Social Science Quarterly, June 2006
- Reuters, Women break bra world record. April 30, 2006
- The Harris Poll #78, October 20, 2005
- NBC 6 News, South Florida, April 10, 2006.
- Tom Regan, Christian Science Monitor, Blogs now have a world of influence. May 17, 2006.
- Paul Krugman, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Extend Medicare to cover all Americans. May 2, 2006.
- U.S. Public Interest Research Group, Report - America Idles: How President Bush's Inaction Will Cost Americans Billions at the Pump in 2006, December 2005.