The Page That Counts :: Winter 2008
Percentage of Iranians who favor normal relations and trade with the United States: 68
Percentage of Iranians who strongly support a democratic system: 79
Dollar value of sales of organic cotton in the United States in 2001: 86 million
Dollar value of sales of organic cotton in the United States in 2005: 275 million
Projected dollar value of sales of organic cotton in the United States by the end of 2008: 2.6 billion
Number of guns in the United States per 100 citizens: 90
Number of guns in Yemen (ranked second in per capita gun ownership) per 100 citizens: 61
Number of guns in England and Wales per 100 citizens: 6
Percentage of American 13- to 24-year-olds stating that time with family is the one thing that makes them the happiest: 20
Percentage of American 13- to 24-year-olds stating that time with friends is the one thing that makes them the happiest: 15
Percentage of American 13- to 24-year-olds who state that money is the one thing that makes them the happiest: 1
Number of diagnoses of bipolar disorder for patients under age 20 in 1994: 20,000
Number of diagnoses of bipolar disorder for patients under age 20 in 2003: 800,000
Number incarcerated out of every 100,000 black males in Apartheid South Africa in 1993: 851
Number incarcerated out of every 100,000 black males in the United States in 2006: 4,789
Smallest extent of Arctic sea ice in 1987, in square kilometers: 6.9 million
Smallest extent of Arctic sea ice in 2007, in square kilometers: 4.1 million
Percentage by which the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change underestimated the rate at which polar ice is melting: 50
Percentage of Alaskan polar bears that scientists project will die by 2050 because of melting ice caps: 100
Percentage decrease of cancer death rates in the U.S. between 2002 and 2004: 2.1
Percentage decrease between 1993 and 2002: 1.1
Price, in Iraq, of a standard wooden Kalashnikov assault rifle in 2003: $80-$150
Price, in Iraq, of a standard wooden Kalashnikov assault rifle in 2006: $400-$800
Number of billboards removed from São Paulo, Brazil after the city's near-complete ban on outdoor advertising went into effect in early 2007: 15,000
More Page That Counts
Percentage of studies reporting favorable results for a medication if they are funded by the drug's producers: 80 Percentage reporting favorable results if conducted with no industry support: 50
Amount the federal government allots to abstinence-only education per year: $170 million
Percentage of Americans who favor comprehensive sex education over an abstinence-only curriculum: 82
- “Polling Iranian Public Opinion: An Unprecedented Nationwide Survey of Iran,” Terror Free Tomorrow, 2007.
- “Spring 2006 Organic Cotton Market Report,” Organic Exchange.
- “Small Arms Survey 2007: Guns and the City,” Small Arms Survey.http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/files/sas/publications/yearb2007.html
- “Youth Happiness Study,” Associated Press-MTV Poll, released August 20, 2007. http://www.mtv.com/thinkmtv/about/pdfs/APMTV_happinesspoll.pdf
- “National Trends in the Outpatient Diagnosis and Treatment of Bipolar Disorder in Youth,” Carmen Moreno, MD et al, Archives of General Psychiatry, Vol. 64 No. 9, September 2007.
- “Americans Behind Bars: The International Use of Incarceration, 1992-1993, Marc Mauer, The Sentencing Project, September 1994. http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/other/sp/abb.htm
- “Prison and Jail Inmates at Midyear 2006,” Bureau of Justice Statistics.
- Numbers provided by National Snow and Ice Data Center User Services.
- “Arctic Ice Melt Gets Stark Reassessment,” Larry O'Hanlon, Discovery News, September 6, 2007. http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/09/06/arcticice_pla.html
- “Polar Bear Population in Dire Straits,” John Heilprin, The Guardian, September 7, 2007.
- “Report to the Nation on the Status of Cancer, 1975-2004,” The American Cancer Society, et al. October 15, 2007. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nation/documents/annual_report_on_cancer_101507.pdf
- “Small Arms Survey 2007: Guns and the City,” Small Arms Survey. http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/files/sas/publications/yearb2007.html
- “Sao Paulo: A City Without Ads,” David Evan Harris, Adbusters, August 21, 2007. http://www.adbusters.org/the_magazine/73/So_Paulo_A_City_Without_Ads.html
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.