|Sunset over Tehran. See more of the country in our photo diary of Rick Steves' trip to Iran.|
We know you're busy, and we know it's summertime. But we hope your group will be able do something as part of the coordinated Days of Action across the U.S. on July 19-21. Now, before an irreversible step in taken, is the time for us to speak out against any U.S./Israeli military attack on Iran.
Momentum is growing as more groups plan events for the three days of action. If you are not sure what you might do, here are a few ideas:
1. Make sure Congress knows your views about military action against Iran.
You can do this by:
- setting up a visit with the district office of your Senator or Representative
- have someone join the lobby day in Washington on July 21st that Peace Action (a member group of UFPJ) is organizing
- organizing people to call in to the DC and/or district offices on Monday, July 21st.
The pressure on Congress is important right now as they consider H.Con.Res. 362 that demands President Bush Òinitiate an international effortÓ to impose a land, sea, and air blockade on Iran to prevent it from importing gasoline and to inspect all cargo entering or leaving Iran. Such a blockade imposed without UN authority (which the resolution does not call for) could be widely construed as an act of war. Some congressional sources say the House could vote on the resolution, H.Con.Res. 362, very soon.
2. Ask your mayor to sign on to a resolution urging the Bush Administration to pursue diplomatic engagement with Iran.
At least 36 mayors have already signed on and now is the time to approach your mayor! For more information visit the Cities for Peace website.
3. Join a timely, new initiative
by circulating and encouraging people to sign on to the open letter to Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama
4. Encourage your members to write letters to the editor of your local papers and to call into local radio talk shows,
especially during the July 19- 21 Days of Action.
5. Organize a visible presence in a busy location in your town:
a vigil, an afternoon of leafleting or tabling, a human billboard, etc. Be sure to pick a time and location that has a lot of pedestrian or vehicle traffic! Locations might be the office of your federal elected offices or another federal building, an Israeli consulate, or a local media outlet that has been particularly strident about Iran.
Please be sure to post any and all activities you are planning for the July 19-21 Days of Action. Just click here. When you get to this form you will be asked to select an Event Type. Scroll down the list to find No War on Iran Action, and click that on.
National Coordinator, UFPJ
You can check the for new organizing and educational resources.