The Page That Counts :: Fall 2008
Number of states whose lawmakers have moved to restrict sales of foreign-made American flags: 10 
Value of U.S. flags imported in 2007: $4.7 million 
Percentage of women recommended for hire based on resumés created by researchers for a recent study: 84
Percentage of women recommended for hire when otherwise identical resumés indicated they were mothers: 46.8
Percentage of men recommended for hire based on resumés created for the study: 61.7
Percentage of men recommended for hire when otherwise identical resumés indicated they were fathers: 73.4 
Number of stay-at-home moms in the United States in 2006: 5.6 million 
Number of stay-at-home dads in the United States in 2006: 159,000 
Amount of asparagus, in pounds, that the winner of this year’s World Deep-Fried Asparagus-Eating
Competition consumed: 8.8 
Time, in minutes, of the contest: 10 
Number of full-size sport utility vehicles GM sold in 2002, the peak selling year for the vehicles: 600,000
Number of full-size SUVs GM is on track to sell this year: less than 250,000
Number of truck and SUV production plants GM will close in an effort to shift production to smaller vehicles: 4 
Estimated number of centenarians in the United States in November 2007: 84,331
Projected number of centenarians in the United States in 2040: 580,605 
Number of journalists killed in Iraq since 2003 as of July 2008: 130 
Number of journalists killed during World War II: 69
Number of journalists killed during the 20-year conflict in Vietnam and Cambodia: 63 
Number of magazines about cats in 2007: 13
Number of magazines about dogs in 2007: 69
Number of magazines about horses in 2007: 141 
Original tree-planting goal of the United Nations Environment Programme’s Billion Tree Campaign: 1 billion
The number of trees planted within the campaign’s first 18 months: 2 billion
The campaign’s new goal of trees to be planted by the end of 2009: 7 billion 
More Page That Counts
Percentage of Iranians who favor normal relations and trade with the United
Percentage of Iranians who strongly support a
democratic system: 79
Miles per gallon a car got in a 1973 contest sponsored by Shell: 376.59
- “Oh Say, Is That Banner Made in the U.S.A.?” Kim Mendelsohn, Stateline.org, May 5, 2008.
- “The Fourth of July 2008,” U.S. Census Bureau, May 5, 2008.
- “Getting a Job: Is There a Motherhood Penalty?” Shelley J. Correll, Stephen Benard and In Paik, American Journal of Sociology, March 2007.
- “Mother’s Day: May 11, 2008,” U.S. Census Bureau, March 13, 2008.
- “Father’s Day: June 15, 2008,” U.S. Census Bureau, April 17, 2008.
- “Joey Owns Stockton,” International Federation of Competitive Eating, April 26, 2008.
- “Competitive Champs to Vie for Fried Asparagus Title,” Stockton Asparagus Festival, 2008.
- “G.M. Shifts Focus to Small Cars in Sign of Sport Utility Demise,” Bill Vlasic, The New York Times, June 4, 2008.
- “Older Americans Month: May 2008,” U.S. Census Bureau, March 3, 2008.
- “Iraq: Journalists in Danger,” Committee to Project Journalists, May 30, 2008.
- “59 Journalists Who Died Covering the News in 2005 Added to Journalists Memorial,” The Freedom Forum, May 3, 2006.
- “Number of Magazines by Category,” American Society of Magazine Editors, January 2008.
- “Billion Tree Campaign to Grow into the Seven Billion Tree Campaign,” United Nations Environment Programme, May 13, 2008. http://www.unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?DocumentID=535&ArticleID=5806&l=en
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.