The Page That Counts :: Winter 2011
Number of billionaires in the world: 1,011
Percentage of billionaires living in the U.S.: 40 
As of August 24, 2009, number of living people who had given $1 billion or more to charity: 14
Number of these who were still billionaires after giving: 11 
As of August 4, 2010, number of U.S. billionaires and near-billionaires pledging at least 50 percent of their wealth to charity: 40 
Time needed for the Earth to generate the ecological “income” that humanity “spends” annually: 1 year, 5 months 
Percentage of Americans who believe most energy will come from sources other than coal/oil/gas by 2050: 74
Percentage favoring expanded exploration and development of coal/oil/gas in the U.S.: 68
Percentage of Americans who favor incentives for more nuclear power: 50
Percentage who foresee a major global energy crisis in the next 40 years: 72
Percentage of Americans who favor requiring utilities to produce more renewable energy: 87 
In 2009, percentage of Americans who thought the gap between rich and poor would decrease by 2050: 34
In 1999, percentage who thought the gap would decrease by 2050: 27 
Average percentage energy savings in EPA Energy Star certified buildings versus conventional buildings: 40
Money spent on Energy Star building upgrades by the Council Rock School District in Bucks County, Penn.: $150,000
Projected annual energy costs for the school district before the upgrades: $4.5 million
Actual energy costs, after upgrades: $3 million 
Percentage rate of annual human population growth in 1963, the peak rate in records dating back to 1950: 2.2
Annual rate in 2009: 1.12
Projected annual rate in 2049: 0.45 
Average minutes American public transit users spend walking daily: 19 
Minutes of daily moderate aerobic activity the U.S. Center for Disease Control recommends: 22
Estimated annual American per capita health cost savings that would result from improving transit quality and building walkable, mixed-use developments around stations: $540.68 
Percentage of parents who say their college student child has a credit card: 35
Percentage of college students who say they have a credit card: 49 
Percentage drop in global phytoplankton population since 1950, attributed to rising ocean surface temperatures: 40 
More Page That Counts
Percentage of Americans who believe one of the country’s greatest assets is its military’s strength and superiority: 14; Percentage who believe the American people themselves are one of the greatest assets: 35
Total jobs worldwide in the renewable energy sector in 2008: 2.3
million; Total number of Wal-Mart employees worldwide: 2.1 million ...
1. “Special Report: The World’s Billionaires”, Luisa Kroll and Matthew Miller, Forbes.com, March 10, 2010.
2. “Billion-Dollar Donors”, David Whelan, Tatiana Serafin, and Christina von Zeppelin, Forbes.com, August 24, 2009.
3. “Forty U.S. Families Take Giving Pledge: Billionaires Pledge Majority of Wealth to Philanthropy”, The Giving Pledge, August 4, 2010.
4. Earth Overshoot Day 2010, Global Footprint Network, 2010.
5.“Public Remains of Two Minds on Energy Policy”, Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, June 14, 2010.
6. “Public Sees a Future Full of Promise and Peril. Life in 2050: Amazing Science, Familiar Threats”, Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, June 22, 2010.
7. “Celebrating a Decade of Energy Star Buildings: 1999-2009”, United States Environmental Protection Agency, 2009.
8. “Total Midyear Population for the World: 1950-2050”, United States Census Bureau, International Data Base, June 28, 2010.
9. “Walking to Public Transit: Steps to Help Meet Physical Activity Recommendations”, Lilah M. Besser, MSPH, Andrew L. Dannenberg, MD, MPH, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Volume 29, No. 4, pp. 273-280, June 10, 2005.
10. “Evaluating Public Transportation Health Benefits”, Todd Litman, Victoria Transport Policy Institute, for the American Public Transportation Association, June 14, 2010.
11. “How America Pays for College: A National Study”, Sallie Mae and Gallup, Aug 2010.
12. “Global phytoplankton decline over the past century”, Daniel Boyce, Marlon Lewis, and Boris Worm, Nature 466: 591-596. July 29, 2010.
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.