The Page That Counts: Winter 2013
Number of states in which restaurants must pay servers full minimum wage: 6 
Current national minimum wage for tipped workers: $2.13
Last time the national tipped minimum wage was raised: 1991 
Age at which Wisconsin’s tipped employees become entitled to the $2.13 minimum: 20
Jobs created for every $1 million in sales at a grocery co-op: 9.3
Jobs created for every $1 million in sales at a conventional grocery store: 5.8 
Megawatts of wind energy on the U.S. grid in 2012: 50,000
American homes that 50,000 megawatts can power: 13 million
Years it took for America’s wind power to double from 25,000 megawatts: 4 
Rank of U.S. 10th graders in alcohol and tobacco use, compared to peers in 36 European countries: 36
Rank of U.S. 10th graders in marijuana use, compared to European peers: 3
Rank of U.S. 10th graders in use of illegal drugs other than marijuana: 1 
Percentage of cell phone users who pretend to use their phones to avoid interacting with people around them: 13 
Estimated number of Sikhs in the United States: 200,000 
Rough percentage of people wearing turbans in the U.S who are Sikhs: 99 
Reports of discrimination and violence against Sikh-Americans, estimated since 9/11: 1,000 
Adult Americans disenfranchised by felony voting laws: 5.85 million
Number of those barred voters who have completed their prison sentences: 2.6 million
Percentage of adult citizens in Florida who cannot vote due to felony histories: 10
Percentage of black adult citizens in Florida who cannot vote due to felony histories: 23 
Base revenue that space tourism is projected to generate in its first ten years: $600 million 
Synthetic substances, such as the herbicide ammonium nonanoate, permitted for use in organic food production: 251
Naturally occurring substances, such as arsenic, banned from use in organic food production: 9 
Year by which hops used in organic beer production must be organic: 2013 
This article is from What Would Nature Do?, the Winter 2013 issue of YES! Magazine.
1. "Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees," U.S. Department of Labor, Jan. 1, 2012
2. "Waiting for Change: The $2.13 Federal Subminimum Wage," Economic Policy Institute, Feb. 23, 2011
3. “Healthy Foods, Healthy Communities: The Social and Economic Impacts ofFood Co-ops”, National Cooperative Grocers Association, Aug. 6, 2012.
4. "Press Release: American Wind Power Reaches 50-Gigawatt Milestone," Power of Wind, Aug. 7, 2012
5. "American teens are less likely than European teens to use cigarettes and alcohol, but more likely to use illicit drugs," University of Michigan News Service, Jun 1, 2012
6. "Americans and Their Cell Phones," Pew Internet & American Life Project, Aug. 15, 2011
7. “Ask the Expert: How Many U.S Sikhs?”, Pew Research CenterPublications, Aug. 6, 2012.
8. “Learn About Sikhs”, Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund(SALDEF) 2012.
9. “Sikhs Face More Attacks Since Sept. 11 Tragedies”, Interview with Kavneet Singh,managing director of SALDEF, National Public Radio, Aug. 6, 2012.
10. "State-level Estimates of Felon Disenfranchisement in The United States, 2010," The Sentencing Project, Aug. 20, 2012
11. “SuborbitalReusable Vehicles: A 10-Year Forecast of Market Demand” The Tauri GroupPDF, p. 8, 2012.
12. Personal communication from Soo Kim of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Oct. 3, 2012.
13. "The Organic Integrity Quarterly," U.S. Department of Agriculture, Sept 2012.
That means, we rely on support from our readers.
Independent. Nonprofit. Subscriber-supported.