The creative spirit, and how it moves us.
- Photo Essays
- New visions of the world we thought we knew.
- Soundtrack to a revolution.
- Reading list for a better world.
- Wisdom to go.
- Telling inspiring stories of social change.
- Create your own captions.
- Poets speak out.
- Listen to interviews, podcasts, radio programs that tell the YES! stories.
- Watch trailers to our pick of maddening and motivating independent films.
Video: Instead of Paying Our Kids to Do Their Homework, Let’s Teach Them Gratitude
by Kayla Schultzposted Oct 31, 2014
- At this pay-it-forward restaurant, everyone's meal is paid for by previous guests—out of generosity. Karma Kitchen's founder on how kindness became contagious
Before the Zombie Apocalypse—These 4 Trade Deals Were Ravaging the World!
by James Trimarco, Marc J. Palmposted Oct 29, 2014
- Forget ghouls and goblins. From deregulating Wall Street to shredding environmental and labor protections—these policy monsters are way scarier.
Matt Damon, Harrison Ford Lead All-Star Cast in Showtime Climate Change Series
by Dana Drugmandposted Oct 27, 2014
- Years of Living Dangerously features celebrity correspondents who thoughtfully explore how politics and religion divide people and impede action on this critical issue.
Own the Change: Building Economic Democracy One Worker Co-op at a Time
posted Oct 24, 2014
- Take a sneak peek at “Own the Change,” a new documentary about worker-owned cooperatives. We’ll be running the full film here at YES! next week.
Why You Need to Know About a Gross Thing Called #GamerGate—And the Women Who Fight It
by Christopher Zumski Finkeposted Oct 22, 2014
- We can learn a lot about the future of culture wars from a “movement” of video game players angry about efforts to make gaming more welcoming for women.
Video: Last Native-Speaker Records Wukchumni Language
posted Oct 17, 2014
- If your language was on the brink of extinction, what would you do? The last speaker of Wukchumni created a makeshift dictionary out of scraps of paper.
Photo Essay: From Field to Fork at an Ethical Farm
by Kayla Schultz, Paul Dunnposted Oct 16, 2014
- See how Heyday Farm raises healthy animals in an environmentally and economically sustainable way.
Video: Why Waste Coffee Grounds When Delicious Mushroooms Love to Grow on Them?
posted Oct 10, 2014
- See how an urban farm in the United Kingdom is recycling coffee waste to grow gourmet mushrooms.
Video: A Bear and Fox Show Why Empathy Brings Us Closer than Sympathy
posted Oct 03, 2014
- Empathy involves a deeper connection than sympathy does, and often means sharing a bit of emotional vulnerability.
An Astronomer Explains Why This Is the Best Moment in Cosmic History to Be Alive
by TRBQposted Sep 12, 2014
- A deep look at the stars and their role in our creation makes a welcome break from the news of the day.
This Former NASA Intern Just Wrote The Best Sci-Fi Book of the Year: Monica Byrne on “The Girl in the Road”
by Christopher Zumski Finkeposted Sep 12, 2014
- A future where India is the major world superpower, gender is flexible, and energy comes from waves? This writer’s version of the near future feels much more real than apocalyptic nightmares we’ve come to dread.
Video: Inside America's Largest Worker-Owned Co-op
posted Aug 21, 2014
- What does it take to keep a massive co-op growing? Find out in this video profile of the people behind Cooperative Health Care Associates.
Photo Essay: Indigenous Farmers Gather in the Andes to Plan for Climate Change
by Adam Kerbyposted Aug 18, 2014
- These photos document a gathering of indigenous groups from China, Bhutan, and Peru. They met in the spring to discuss climate change and plan a crop exchange program.
Too Many Political T-Shirts? 6 Ways to Repurpose Them
by Christine St. Pierre, Kali Swensonposted Jul 22, 2014
- The messages may be eternal, but T-shirts aren't forever. These DIY projects can give them new life.
The Eerie Beauty of Landscapes Devastated by Industry
by Christine St. Pierreposted Jul 11, 2014
- Edward Burtynsky documents the environmental effects of oil extraction through striking landscape photography.