YES! Photo Essays
New visions of the world we thought we knew.
Earth Under Fire Photo Essay
by Gary Braaschposted Feb 06, 2008
- This photo-essay offers a sample of Gary Braasch's extraordinary achievements in highlighting the effects of climate change. His latest book Earth Under Fire: How Global Warming is Changing the World, presents dramatic photographs, maps, and quotes from world climate science leaders.
Christopher Herwig Photo Essay
posted Feb 06, 2008
- A photo essay of the Aral Sea. Straddling the border between Kazakhstan in the north and Uzbekistan in the south, the Aral Sea was the fourth-largest lake in the world until Soviet-era irrigation diverted water, destroying it.
Emma Goldman Finishing School Photo Essay
posted Jan 17, 2008
- A photo essay of life at the Emma Goldman Finishing School, a social justice commune in Seattle.
Burning Man Photo Essay
by Catherine Baileyposted Dec 31, 2007
- A photo essay by Catherine Bailey from Burning Man: the annual art event based on radical self expression and self-reliance in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada.
Umoja Village Photo Essay
by Heather Muellerposted Nov 09, 2007
- In Miami, homeless citizens didn’t wait for the city. They created their own home and found dignity and safety. Article: Heather Mueller. Photo essay: Rolfe Ross.
Photo Essay: The First USSF in Atlanta, Ga.
posted Aug 14, 2007
Seeing Another World: U.S. Social Forum 2008
posted Aug 14, 2007
- Instead of drawing crowds with superstar speakers and performers, the participants of the 2008 U.S. Social Forum were the stars. Those who are accustomed to being excluded were at the center, and those who were used to being silenced were heard.
Art in this Issue :: Antofagasta, Chile
by Rodrigo Araya Plazaposted Jul 30, 2007
- This slideshow highlights some of the art and photography featured in the Summer 2007 issue of YES! Magazine. This page: Rodrigo 'RasDragon' Araya Plaza.
Phil Borges :: Women Empowered
posted Jul 29, 2007
- Phil Borges' latest work, "Women Empowered," profiles women in the developing world who are challenging gender norms to improve their situation and help their communities.
In Their Own Words
posted Jun 16, 2007
- A YES! photo-essay with portraits and accompanying interviews with the Cuban pioneers of global health care.
posted Mar 23, 2007
- A selection from Eddie Adams' celebrated photographs of the lives of an extraordinary group of courageous individuals worldwide: the 'defenders' of human rights.