When the workers are the owners.
Gar Alperovitz on Why the New Economy Movement Needs to Think Big
by Scott Gastposted Jul 02, 2014
- His new book, "What Then Must We Do?" imagines how a new economic system might actually emerge, from the bottom up, in the next few decades.
Worker-Owned Co-ops Get $1 Million in NYC Spending
by Liz Pleasantposted Jun 27, 2014
- New York City's newly approved budget allocates $1.2 million for developing and supporting worker-owned cooperative businesses.
Will Jackson, Miss., Be the New Co-op Capital of the South?
posted May 23, 2014
- Three months after the death of Jackson's radical mayor, the city's residents are working to make his vision of cooperative economics a reality.
This Omaha Bike Shop Is Training a New Generation of Cyclists
posted May 12, 2014
- "Pretty soon they're using it to travel downtown and expand their understanding of the community they live in."
After Death of Radical Mayor, Mississippi's Capital Wrestles With His Economic Vision
by Laura Flandersposted Apr 01, 2014
- Mayor Chokwe Lumumba implemented only the first steps of his plan to address Jackson's extreme income inequality, which most seriously affected black residents. Now the city faces a choice between vastly different approaches to economic development.
Mondragón and the System Problem
by Gar Alperovitz, Thomas M. Hannaposted Mar 24, 2014
- Among the lessons of a major cooperative business' bankruptcy: The success of big co-ops might depend on things like radically reforming transportation and other parts of the larger economy.
Infographic: A Guided Tour of the New Economy
posted Mar 03, 2014
- What will the transition to a "new economy" really look like? To find out, explore this interactive infographic from the group New England New Economy Transition.
A Year After Sandy, a Co-op Alliance Could Bring Jobs Back to the Rockaways
by Laura Flandersposted Oct 29, 2013
- Last year, Sandy massively disrupted of some of the East Coast’s neighborhood economies. But worker-owned cooperatives are creating jobs with real wealth and meaning.
Co-Op Academy Teaches Workers to Build Green and Cooperative Businesses
posted Aug 14, 2013
- GRITtv's Laura Flanders speaks with the founder of the program and takes you inside one of its classes.
Mark Dworkin and Melissa Young: A New Economy for Present Times
posted Jul 05, 2013
- Laura Flanders interviews the directors of Shift Change, a film about the cooperative business movement.
Worker-Owned Window Factory Opens for Business
posted May 09, 2013
- When the company known as Republic Windows and Doors closed its Chicago factory, the workers raised the money to buy back the company themselves. The worker-owned cooperative they formed opens today.
From Housing to Health Care, 7 Co-ops That Are Changing Our Economy
by Claudia Roweposted Apr 23, 2013
- How manufacturers, retailers, restaurants, and others are doing business the cooperative way.
Curriculum & Resources: 10 Reasons Why Co-ops Rock
posted Apr 15, 2013
- Toolbox for Education and Social Change has a great classroom tool on cooperatives. You can buy its "10 Reasons Why Co-ops Rock" poster at pay what you want prices. Available in Spanish, too.
Occupy Sandy Funds Growth of Worker-Owned Co-Ops
by Peter Rughposted Apr 05, 2013
- Could the seaside neighborhoods struck by Hurricane Sandy be the next big incubator for worker-owned companies?
Empowered by the Past: Red State Co-ops Go Green
by Brooke Jarvisposted Apr 03, 2013
- A century ago, cooperatives electrified the poorest counties in the nation. Today, can they lead the way to a smarter, cleaner grid?