When the workers are the owners.
Worker-Owned Window Factory Opens for Business
posted May 09, 2013
- When the company known as Republic Windows and Doors closed its Chicago factory, the workers raised the money to buy back the company themselves. The worker-owned cooperative they formed opens today.
From Housing to Health Care, 7 Co-ops That Are Changing Our Economy
by Claudia Roweposted Apr 23, 2013
- How manufacturers, retailers, restaurants, and others are doing business the cooperative way.
Curriculum & Resources: 10 Reasons Why Co-ops Rock
posted Apr 15, 2013
- Toolbox for Education and Social Change has a great classroom tool on cooperatives. You can buy its "10 Reasons Why Co-ops Rock" poster at pay what you want prices. Available in Spanish, too.
Occupy Sandy Funds Growth of Worker-Owned Co-Ops
by Peter Rughposted Apr 05, 2013
- Could the seaside neighborhoods struck by Hurricane Sandy be the next big incubator for worker-owned companies?
To Build a Community Economy, Start With Solidarity
by Abby Scherposted Apr 03, 2013
- How residents who can’t afford to buy in still get the benefits of co-op work and housing.
Empowered by the Past: Red State Co-ops Go Green
by Brooke Jarvisposted Apr 03, 2013
- A century ago, cooperatives electrified the poorest counties in the nation. Today, can they lead the way to a smarter, cleaner grid?
Don’t Like Your Health Insurance? Make Your Own
by Nina Rogozenposted Mar 20, 2013
- The Affordable Care Act hopes to drive expansion of health care co-ops.
6 Ways to Fuel the Cooperative Takeover
by Sven Eberleinposted Mar 20, 2013
- From now on, the global mantra for filling market gaps is going to be, “There’s a co-op for that.” But co-ops need customers, money, and training. How do we shift from business as usual to the work of cooperation?
Credit Unions Put Your Money to Work—Right Where You Live
by Colleen Kimmetposted Mar 20, 2013
- What if your bank’s first priority was to do good? Vancouver’s Vancity leads the way in putting dollars back into the community.
New Film Calls Worker-Owned Cooperatives “Next American Revolution”
by Kristin Hugoposted Mar 15, 2013
- Gar Alperovitz’s film points to worker-owned cooperatives as a growing alternative to traditional capitalism and socialism.
How Workers Laid Off from a Chicago Factory Took It Over Themselves
by Laura Flandersposted Mar 05, 2013
- When their boss tried to fire them, the workers of Republic Windows and Doors occupied the factory. Now they own it as a cooperative.
Filmmakers: Cooperative Businesses Bring Democracy to the Workplace
by Mark Karlinposted Feb 22, 2013
- In their new film, Shift Change, filmmakers Melissa Young and Mark Dworkin take viewers on a worldwind tour of the cooperative economy.
Just the Facts: What's So Good About Co-ops?
posted Feb 20, 2013
- Why support the co-ops in your community? The benefits might be further-reaching than you think.
The Economy: Under New Ownership
by Marjorie Kellyposted Feb 19, 2013
- How cooperatives are leading the way to empowered workers and healthy communities.
The Cooperative Way to a Stronger Economy
by Sarah van Gelderposted Feb 19, 2013
- Co-ops—just like people—can get more done together than anyone can do alone. They come in many forms, and are more common than you might imagine.