Infographic: A Guided Tour of the New Economy
Mar 03, 2014
- What will the transition to a "new economy" really look like? To find out, explore this interactive infographic from the group New England New Economy Transition.
A Year After Sandy, a Co-op Alliance Could Bring Jobs Back to the Rockaways
by Laura FlandersOct 29, 2013
- Last year, Sandy massively disrupted of some of the East Coast’s neighborhood economies. But worker-owned cooperatives are creating jobs with real wealth and meaning.
Co-Op Academy Teaches Workers to Build Green and Cooperative Businesses
Aug 14, 2013
- GRITtv's Laura Flanders speaks with the founder of the program and takes you inside one of its classes.
Mark Dworkin and Melissa Young: A New Economy for Present Times
Jul 05, 2013
- Laura Flanders interviews the directors of Shift Change, a film about the cooperative business movement.
Worker-Owned Window Factory Opens for Business
May 09, 2013
- When the company known as Republic Windows and Doors closed its Chicago factory, the workers raised the money to buy back the company themselves. The worker-owned cooperative they formed opens today.
From Housing to Health Care, 7 Co-ops That Are Changing Our Economy
by Claudia RoweApr 23, 2013
- How manufacturers, retailers, restaurants, and others are doing business the cooperative way.
"10 Reasons Why Co-ops Rock" Poster
by Jing FongApr 15, 2013
- Toolbox for Education and Social Change has a great classroom tool on cooperatives. You can buy its "10 Reasons Why Co-ops Rock" poster at pay-what-you-want prices. Available in Spanish, too.
Occupy Sandy Funds Growth of Worker-Owned Co-Ops
by Peter RughApr 05, 2013
- Could the seaside neighborhoods struck by Hurricane Sandy be the next big incubator for worker-owned companies?
Empowered by the Past: Red State Co-ops Go Green
by Brooke JarvisApr 03, 2013
- A century ago, cooperatives electrified the poorest counties in the nation. Today, can they lead the way to a smarter, cleaner grid?
To Build a Community Economy, Start With Solidarity
by Abby ScherApr 03, 2013
- How residents who can’t afford to buy in still get the benefits of co-op work and housing.
Don’t Like Your Health Insurance? Make Your Own
by Nina RogozenMar 20, 2013
- The Affordable Care Act hopes to drive expansion of health care co-ops.
6 Ways to Fuel the Cooperative Takeover
by Sven EberleinMar 20, 2013
- From now on, the global mantra for filling market gaps is going to be, “There’s a co-op for that.” But co-ops need customers, money, and training. How do we shift from business as usual to the work of cooperation?
Credit Unions Put Your Money to Work—Right Where You Live
by Colleen KimmetMar 20, 2013
- What if your bank’s first priority was to do good? Vancouver’s Vancity leads the way in putting dollars back into the community.
New Film Calls Worker-Owned Cooperatives “Next American Revolution”
by Kristin HugoMar 15, 2013
- Gar Alperovitz’s film points to worker-owned cooperatives as a growing alternative to traditional capitalism and socialism.
How Workers Laid Off from a Chicago Factory Took It Over Themselves
by Laura FlandersMar 05, 2013
- When their boss tried to fire them, the workers of Republic Windows and Doors occupied the factory. Now they own it as a cooperative.