When the workers are the owners.
New Economy, New Ways to Work
posted Jun 05, 2009
- Worker co-ops are enjoying a resurgence. And instead of flying off to distant shareholders, the profits go to the worker/owners who keep them circulating close to home.
Ideas for a Better Food System :: Processing
posted Feb 13, 2009
- The women of Georgia Southern Alternatives Agriculture Co-op are providing jobs for young women by independently processing and selling their pecans.
Create Your Own Workplace
by Layla Aslaniposted Jul 29, 2008
- Cooperative businesses allow employee-owners to receive all the benefits of their work—and their jobs can't get out-sourced or downsized. Layla Aslani shows how low-income women are starting cooperative businesses, becoming their own bosses, and creating lasting prosperity for themselves and their families.
Reclaiming Corn and Culture
by Wendy Callposted May 22, 2008
- NAFTA was sold as a win-win. After 14 years of losing, Mexican farmers are making their own trade rules—fair ones.
Building Autonomy, One Co-op at a Time
by Michael Foxposted Nov 07, 2007
- Over 20,000 member families live in cooperatively owned housing in Uruguay. The co-ops are not just housing members, but also involving them in social politics, management and organization. And they are working to spread the concept across the Americas.
7 Cool Companies
by Gar Alperovitz, Steve Dubb, Ted Howardposted Jul 29, 2007
- 7 of the best current models for changing who owns, controls and benefits from business. Profits can flow to workers, consumers or the community - not just outside investors. And these businesses succeed.
The Change Makers
posted Jun 14, 2007
- Inspiring stories in their own words from community members who are co-operating to effect social change in the Americas.
Venezuela's Co-op Boom
by Michael Foxposted May 11, 2007
- The boom of cooperatives in Venezuela is promoting employment and social justice at a grassroots level.
by Tracy Fernandez Rysavy, Prianjali Mascarenhasposted Nov 30, 2006
- After Katrina, a local credit union got Jerry Moore and others on their feet.
#5 :: Organic Farming Cooperatives
posted Nov 17, 2006
The Bronx, New York: Quality Job, Quality Care
by Eric Laursenposted Aug 31, 2006
- Cooperative Home Care Associates offers home health care services with motivated employee owners and a cooperative that is growing.
An Interpretation of Life
by Frances Moore Lappéposted Jun 13, 2006
- Frances Moore Lappe visits North-Central Italy to learn how cooperatives have succeeded in driving the local economy
Entrepreneurs of cooperation
by Jonathan Roweposted May 08, 2006
- After the 1929 crash, workers created a cooperative economy, using industrial leftovers and ingenuity. It was called the Unemployed Exchange Association or UXA. What could we do with that cooperative model today?
Omar Freilla: Green Worker Cooperative
by Carolyn McConnellposted Feb 16, 2006
- The story of a worker owned cooperative to recycle in South Bronx.
by Dee Axelrodposted Nov 08, 2005
- A Jewish Ugandan coffee farmer partners with Christian and Muslim neighbors to produce jobs, understanding, and a great coffee. Thanksgivingcoffee.com