Obama Calls for "Opportunity for All": 8 Policies to Make It Happen
by Sarah van GelderJan 29, 2014
- While the president outlined important steps forward last night, bolder steps are needed. Here are eight with the power to truly create the universal opportunity the president called for.
TPP Protestors to Foreign Negotiators: "Don't Let U.S. Bully You"
by James TrimarcoNov 22, 2013
- Negotiators from Latin American and Asian countries said they were "doing their best" to stand up to the U.S. Trade Representative.
Hey, NY Times, Want Fairness in Pacific Trade Deal? Then Advocates Must Get Seat at the Table
by James TrimarcoNov 08, 2013
- A recent editorial in the The New York Times argued that the Trans Pacific Partnership should strengthen environmental and labor regulations. But that won't happen unless we change the process.
Interactive Garment Industry Map
by Jing FongOct 21, 2013
- An interactive map of garment industry factories, designed in response to the Bangladesh disasters. Also explore a New York Times' Learning Network lesson, "Corporate Irresponsibility? Fashion’s Hidden Cost in Bangladesh’s Garment Industry."
Will a Secretive International Trade Deal Ban GMO Labeling?
by James TrimarcoOct 18, 2013
- The Trans Pacific Partnership is likely to be a setback for efforts to regulate and label GMO foods.
What 11-Year-Olds Get—and Adults Forget—About Child Labor in Chocolate
by Katrina RabelerOct 04, 2013
- Marie Hogan confronted Hershey’s about using children in its supply chain because she cares about other kids, fairness—and candy. Here’s what we can learn from her.
What’s Fairer than Fair Trade? Try Direct Trade With Cocoa Farmers
by Kristy LeissleOct 04, 2013
- Fair trade is good, but it still leaves cocoa growers in poverty. Here’s how to do better.
The TPP Is Another Job Killing Trade Deal—So Why Are Both Parties Supporting It?
by Natalie PompilioAug 28, 2013
- Factory owners in the United States say that the Trans-Pacific Partnership—which is being negotiated this week in Brunei—will force them to lay off workers. Yet opponents in Washington are few and far between.
Why the TransPacific Partnership is a Scary Big (Trade) Deal
by Kristen BeifusMay 08, 2013
- A super-sized NAFTA, the TPP gives foreign corporations privileges that can override domestic laws on environmental health and citizens’ rights. Here’s why we shouldn’t let it pass without a fight.
Offshore Tax Havens Democratized on “Art Hack” Website
by YES! online staffApr 15, 2013
- Today is April 15, and that means that taxes are due ... at least for most of us. Artist and hacker Paolo Cirio tracked down authors and activists who study tax havens and asked them about the details.
Arab Spring Breakers: 50,000 Gather in Tunisia to Plan People-Powered Economy
by Signe PredmoreApr 01, 2013
- Tens of thousands of people from around the world gathered in Tunisia last week to talk about creating a fairer world. Here are some of the hottest topics from the panels in Tunis.
Europe Authorizes “Robin Hood Tax” on Financial Transactions
by Sarah AndersonJan 25, 2013
- Support for the tax on stocks, bonds, and derivatives was so strong among EU finance ministers that it wasn’t even necessary to take a formal vote.
In EU Parliament, a Landslide Vote for “Robin Hood Tax”
by Sarah AndersonDec 13, 2012
- Eleven countries in Europe hope to raise billions of Euros through a tiny tax on financial speculation. This week, a major vote in the European parliament brings that plan one step closer to becoming reality.
Can a “Dracula Strategy” Bring Trans-Pacific Partnership into the Sunlight?
by Lori WallachNov 21, 2012
- A highly secretive trade agreement aims to penalize countries that protect workers, consumers, and the environment. Luckily, the growing opposition goes beyond the usual trade justice suspects.
Alta Gracia Clothing Factory Shows New Pathways in Fair Trade
by Peter DreierNov 15, 2012
- For years, student activists pressured their schools to partner with the Workers Rights Consortium to make sure their college gear was sweatshop-free. Now, they have another choice: a fair-trade clothing manufacturer called Alta Gracia.