The "Battle in Seattle" at 10
by Mark EnglerNov 30, 2009
- WTO+10: Did the 1999 protests against the World Trade Organization actually make a difference?
The WTO and the Myth of Activist Violence
by Rebecca SolnitNov 25, 2009
- The people who have made our world through direct action have been treated as dangerous, even if they are revered when their radical acts are at a safe distance.
Waking Up to the Dangers of "Free Trade"
by Fran KortenNov 25, 2009
- WTO+10: When Fran Korten first started warning people about NAFTA, many had never heard of it. But the 1999 protests in Seattle showed that Americans were learning what many in the developing world had known for years: free trade agreements are not just esoteric rules about what goods can cross borders. They are about who rules—corporations or people.
The Meaning of Seattle: Truth Only Becomes True Through Action
by Walden BelloNov 25, 2009
- WTO+10: Before 1999, the momentum of globalization seemed to sweep everything in front of it, including the truth. But in Seattle, ordinary women and men made truth real with collective action.
Poverty, Global Trade Justice, and the Roots of Terrorism
by John PerkinsNov 13, 2009
- To combat terrorism, we should address the root causes of poverty, says former "economic hit man" John Perkins.
Clash on Investment
by Sarah AndersonNov 04, 2009
- Corporations are fighting for the right to sue over government actions—including health, environment, and other public interest regulations—that diminish the value of an investment.
The Virtues of Deglobalization
by Walden BelloSep 25, 2009
- What do we do now that neoliberal globalization has failed? Walden Bello outlines 11 pillars of a deglobalized economy.
Seattle + 10
by David KortenJul 15, 2009
- Time to declare our independence from Wall Street
Advice for Obama from the Hemisphere
by Manuel Pérez-RochaApr 22, 2009
- The Institute for Policy Studies invited Latin American and Caribbean civil society leaders to share their recommendations for transforming the U.S. government's relationship with the hemisphere.
Food Rebellions: 7 Steps to Solving the Food Crisis
by Eric Holt-GimenezFeb 13, 2009
- Resistance to the trade and “aid” policies that displace farmers and increase hunger.
People We Love :: Isabel Latorre
Feb 13, 2009
- Coffee for women's rights: Profile of Isabel Latorre, founder of Café Feminino
Ideas for a Better Food System :: Processing
Feb 13, 2009
- The women of Georgia Southern Alternatives Agriculture Co-op are providing jobs for young women by independently processing and selling their pecans.
The End of Poverty? :: Film Trailer
Feb 11, 2009
- 500 years after imperial globalization began, have we achieved the end of poverty?
WTO Photo Quiz
by Kevin SharpJul 30, 2008
- Photographer Kevin Sharp paired his photos of the 1999 event with stills from the new film. You might be surprised by what's real and what's not
The Battle in Seattle
Jul 18, 2008
- Watch the trailer to Stuart Townsend's account of the WTO protests in Seattle in 1999.