Global Trade Justice
Doing right by our global neighbors.
New Video from Harry Potter Director Promotes Tax on Wall Street
by John Cavanagh, Robin Broadposted Feb 18, 2014
- The video, set in 2024, shows European bankers looking back at the passage of a tax that brought "serious money to the fight against extreme poverty."
As Trans-Pacific Partnership Falters, Opponents Go After Fence-Sitting Pols
by James Trimarcoposted Feb 03, 2014
- A trade deal likely to harm environmental and labor protections may be losing momentum. But it's not dead yet.
Obama Calls for "Opportunity for All": 8 Policies to Make It Happen
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jan 29, 2014
- While the president outlined important steps forward last night, bolder steps are needed. Here are eight with the power to truly create the universal opportunity the president called for.
TPP Protestors to Foreign Negotiators: "Don't Let U.S. Bully You"
by James Trimarcoposted Nov 22, 2013
- Negotiators from Latin American and Asian countries said they were "doing their best" to stand up to the U.S. Trade Representative.
Hey, NY Times, Want Fairness in Pacific Trade Deal? Then Advocates Must Get Seat at the Table
by James Trimarcoposted Nov 08, 2013
- A recent editorial in the The New York Times argued that the Trans Pacific Partnership should strengthen environmental and labor regulations. But that won't happen unless we change the process.
Curriculum & Resources: Garment Industry Infographic
posted Oct 21, 2013
- Interactive map of garment industry factories, designed in response to the Bangladesh disasters.
Will a Secretive International Trade Deal Ban GMO Labeling?
by James Trimarcoposted Oct 18, 2013
- The Trans Pacific Partnership is likely to be a setback for efforts to regulate and label GMO foods.
What 11-Year-Olds Get—and Adults Forget—About Child Labor in Chocolate
by Katrina Rabelerposted Oct 04, 2013
- Marie Hogan confronted Hershey’s about using children in its supply chain because she cares about other kids, fairness—and candy. Here’s what we can learn from her.
What’s Fairer than Fair Trade? Try Direct Trade With Cocoa Farmers
by Kristy Leissleposted Oct 04, 2013
- Fair trade is good, but it still leaves cocoa growers in poverty. Here’s how to do better.
The TPP Is Another Job Killing Trade Deal—So Why Are Both Parties Supporting It?
by Natalie Pompilioposted Aug 28, 2013
- Factory owners in the United States say that the Trans-Pacific Partnership—which is being negotiated this week in Brunei—will force them to lay off workers. Yet opponents in Washington are few and far between.
Why the TransPacific Partnership is a Scary Big (Trade) Deal
by Kristen Beifusposted May 08, 2013
- A super-sized NAFTA, the TPP gives foreign corporations privileges that can override domestic laws on environmental health and citizens’ rights. Here’s why we shouldn’t let it pass without a fight.
Offshore Tax Havens Democratized on “Art Hack” Website
by YES! online staffposted Apr 15, 2013
- Today is April 15, and that means that taxes are due ... at least for most of us. Artist and hacker Paolo Cirio tracked down authors and activists who study tax havens and asked them about the details.
Arab Spring Breakers: 50,000 Gather in Tunisia to Plan People-Powered Economy
by Signe Predmoreposted Apr 01, 2013
- Tens of thousands of people from around the world gathered in Tunisia last week to talk about creating a fairer world. Here are some of the hottest topics from the panels in Tunis.
Europe Authorizes “Robin Hood Tax” on Financial Transactions
by Sarah Andersonposted Jan 25, 2013
- Support for the tax on stocks, bonds, and derivatives was so strong among EU finance ministers that it wasn’t even necessary to take a formal vote.
In EU Parliament, a Landslide Vote for “Robin Hood Tax”
by Sarah Andersonposted Dec 13, 2012
- Eleven countries in Europe hope to raise billions of Euros through a tiny tax on financial speculation. This week, a major vote in the European parliament brings that plan one step closer to becoming reality.