The Battle in Seattle
Jul 18, 2008
- Watch the trailer to Stuart Townsend's account of the WTO protests in Seattle in 1999.
Focus on Fair Trade
by Jing FongJun 30, 2008
- These three TransFair USA curricula are designed to help students understand the concept of fair trade and to highlight its values and significance to farmers and communities. Using familiar imported foods—chocolate, bananas and coffee—as the focus, your students will gain an appreciation for the hard work of the farmer and will feel empowered knowing their consumer choices have real impact on real people.
Reclaiming Corn and Culture
by Wendy CallMay 22, 2008
- NAFTA was sold as a win-win. After 14 years of losing, Mexican farmers are making their own trade rules—fair ones.
Bring Fair Trade into Your Classroom
by Jing FongFeb 01, 2008
- How students can tell big companies like World's Finest Chocolate that they demand an end to abusive child labor practices, and that they want to buy products that are Fair Trade Certified.
Interview with Susan Gleason
by Diane HornJun 27, 2007
- Susan Gleason talks about the US Social Forum in this 30-minute interview with Diane Horn, producer and host of the Sustainability Segment of KEXP.
Oscar Olivera: After the Water War
by Sarah van GelderMay 11, 2007
- Cochabamba's water wars have ended. With the multinationals gone, Oscar Olivera advocates a change in mindset.
by Mark RandazzoNov 30, 2006
- Activists from around the world joined hands on the streets and in the corridors of power to protest WTO trade deals they said would harm people and the planet. They just won big.
Programming Our Vocabulary
by Frances Moore LappeAug 25, 2006
- The right continues to define the terms of debate. It is time for progressives to establish terms of their own.
Inviting Immigrants Out of the Shadows
by Oscar A Chacón, Amy Shannon, Sarah AndersonMay 01, 2006
- How can undocumented workers come out of the shadows into an active work life in the US?
Alternatives to a Wall
by Oscar A. Chacón, Amy Shannon, Sarah AndersonMay 01, 2006
- What effect do globalization trade policies have on illegal immigration in the US?
The Sweat Free Movement
by Lilja OttoMar 08, 2006
- Students, union members and textile workers act together to fight sweatshop clothing.
by Dee AxelrodNov 08, 2005
- A Jewish Ugandan coffee farmer partners with Christian and Muslim neighbors to produce jobs, understanding, and a great coffee. Thanksgivingcoffee.com
Fair trade: for everyone's benefit
by Lilja OttoNov 07, 2005
- The fair trade movement has forged direct, stable, democratic trade relations between producers and consumers
Book Review: Dilemmas of Domination by Walden Bello
by Saul LandauSep 26, 2005
- Walden Bello, scholar activist, has written a manifesto on how globalization works and fails.
Film Review: The Take and Argentina: Hope in Hard Times
by Lisa Gale GarriguesApr 18, 2005
- Lisa Gale Garrigues reviews two films about Argentina during the economic crisis of 2002. Both films offer lessons in what ordinary people can do.