The Economy of Smallness: Making Economic Exchange a Loving Human Interaction
by Abby QuillenOct 25, 2013
- Philadelphia restauranteur and local economies movement leader Judy Wicks on making good and doing good.
Main Street Comeback: How Independent Stores are Thriving (Even in the Age of Amazon)
by Fran KortenOct 25, 2013
- Despite behemoths like Starbucks and Amazon, the number of independent bookstores, coffeeshops, and other businesses is growing.
Mountain Grown: Appalachia's New Local Food Economy
by Erin L. McCoyAug 21, 2013
- Hungry for okra, collards, and trout? In Appalachia, you can now get all your soul food cravings from local farmers.
What the US Can Learn From Africa’s Booming Economy
by Imara JonesJul 24, 2013
- Seven out of the ten fastest-growing economies are in Africa. Behind that is a surge in healthy young people and an emphasis on local markets.
Like Shopping at Local Businesses? Now You Can Invest in Them, Too
by David RutherfordJul 17, 2013
- A newly formed company based in Seattle makes it easy to put your money to work in the local economy.
The Bright Side of the Money Crisis
May 06, 2013
- Is this “the most exciting time to be alive in human history”? The economists and scientists interviewed in this film think so, and the reasons are all about the chance to create a more fair and sustainable global economy.
What India Taught Me About How to End Hunger
by Frances Moore LappeJan 25, 2013
- Back in the ’60s, Frances Moore Lappé realized that hunger is caused by a scarcity of democracy, not food. Then, a collective of courageous women farmers showed her how to change that.
Stacy Mitchell: We Can’t Shop Our Way to a Better Economy
Nov 29, 2012
- Buying local isn’t enough. If we’re going to get our economy back on track, we have to re-center on communities.
3 Lessons for Appalachia’s Post-Coal Economy
by Brooke JarvisNov 28, 2012
- Appalachian residents are working to keep local and sustainable sources of wealth central in a post-coal economy.
A Small Business Boost from ... Regulations?
by Brooke JarvisSep 07, 2012
- Do regulations really hurt small businesses? Or do businesses thrive when local residents can afford their services, and a good quality of life attracts skilled workers?
Infographic: An All-Local Meal in Appalachia
Aug 21, 2012
- In today's Appalachia, it's possible to eat an entire meal in which every ingredient was sourced from within 40 miles of your table.
Breaking Through Concrete: An Urban Farm Roadtrip
by David Hanson, Edwin Marty, Michael HansonAug 17, 2012
- Farmers across the country are taking to rooftops, vacant lots, any space they can find to build an urban farm revival.
The Downsides of Upselling: 4 Tips from the Farm
by Shannon HayesAug 15, 2012
- Shannon Hayes on keeping a human face on her capitalist ventures and learning to say “enough” when the market calls.
A New Era of Worker Ownership?
by Gar AlperovitzJul 11, 2012
- All over the country, people—like the workers of Chicago’s New Era Windows—are building worker-owned cooperatives that root jobs in the communities that need them.
One More Benefit of Local Food
by Shannon HayesJun 28, 2012
- A farmer sings the praises of having non-farmers close at hand.