Keeping benefits and accountability close to home.
Move Your Money
posted Jan 13, 2010
- Move Your Money is a growing national movement to switch money out of big, national banks and into local, community banks. A video paralleling "It's a Wonderful Life" promotes the campaign.
Smarter School Lunches
by Ellen Mahoneyposted Jan 12, 2010
- Healthy, local food for all kids? "Renegade Lunch Lady" Ann Cooper is starting a revolution in school cafeterias.
Seeds of a Movement for the Unemployed
by Jake Blumgartposted Dec 15, 2009
- Where do working Americans turn when they lose their jobs?
Growing Local: Interview with BALLE's Michelle Long
by Brooke Jarvisposted Nov 29, 2009
- By working with local businesses, Michelle Long helped make Bellingham, Washington a national leader in urban sustainability. As executive director of the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies, she's taking her vision to cities around North America.
Slow Money: Bringing Money Down to Earth
by Brooke Jarvisposted Nov 16, 2009
- Is there such a thing as money that's too fast? Slow Money founder Woody Tasch says yes, and he's trying to slow money down by connecting investors to their local economies.
FRESH :: Film Trailer
posted Nov 11, 2009
- Given the environmental and health consequences of industrial agriculture, what would it look like if we re-invented our food system?
Reviving the Local Economy with Publicly Owned Banks
by Ellen Brownposted Oct 14, 2009
- The Fed may have played all its cards, but state and local governments still hold a few aces: publicly owned banks that could funnel credit where it is needed most, directly into the local economy.
Protecting Local Farms
by Lynn Byczynskiposted Sep 17, 2009
- Small-scale farmers fear that new regulations meant for industrial agriculture will burden them unfairly.
Can a Farm State Feed Itself?
by Brooke Jarvisposted Sep 04, 2009
- Tired of depending on imports, Illinois looks to local food.
Mali's Gift Economy
by Beverly Bellposted Jul 22, 2009
- In Mali, one of the most cash poor nations in the world, "dama" or the gift economy is thriving.
Protecting What We Love: Judy Wicks
posted Jul 22, 2009
- Interview with local living economies advocate Judy Wicks.
Age-Old Wisdom for the New Economy
by Sarah van Gelder, Rebecca Adamsonposted Jul 07, 2009
- Indigenous peoples have learned a few things about making it through hard times. Rebecca Adamson discusses what traditional economies did to foster abundance, sharing, and harmony with Mother Earth.
Why This Crisis May Be Our Best Chance to Build a New Economy
by David Kortenposted Jun 19, 2009
- Wall Street is bankrupt. Instead of trying to save it, we can build a new economy that puts money and business in the service of people and the planet—not the other way around.
My Best Investments Are Down The Street
by Judy Wicksposted Jun 05, 2009
- Social activist and local living economies advocate Judy Wicks shares her investment secrets.
Small Banks, Radical Vision
by Zach Carterposted Jun 05, 2009
- Local banks can change the world, one investment at a time.